1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Numbers and Total number of Orbitals

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many orbitals have the values n = 4, l = 3, and m_l = -2?

2. Relevant equations

First of all, is this question asking me how many orbitals there are with the given quantum numbers? Second, how do I go about finding that out

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that I could figure out the number of orbitals by using 2*l +1 but the answer I get is wrong? Help please :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    I think your answer would be correct if only n and l were given. The reason that 2*l + 1 does not apply is because the magnetic quantum number (m_l) is specified. The magnetic quantum number has to do with energy level within a subshell, and if I remember correctly, each orbital is associated with a single m_l.

So what does that tell you about the number of orbitals that meet the criteria above?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    Hi! Thanks for your reply...I'm not quite sure at what you're trying to get at here...sorry :S I wish I did.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    The four quantum numbers are used to describe an electron.

1st QN tells you what shell it is in. n = 1,2,3,...
    2nd QN tells you what subshell it is in. l = 0,1,2,...
    3rd QN specifies an orbital. m_l can be anywhere from -l to positive l, including 0. This is the reasoning behind the 2l + 1 equation. That equation tells you how many possible m_l values there are for a specific subshell, and thus how many orbitals are in a subshell.
    4th QN tells you the spin of the electron. m_s = +1/2 or -1/2

In your problem, they told you what the m_l value was. The possible m_l values for the given subshell were -3,-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, but they narrowed it down and told you that it was -2.

How many orbital choices does that leave you with?

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5
    Just one! That makes perfect sense! Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook