Quantum Mechanics and Electron Configuration in a Modified Universe

In summary, in a universe with slightly different laws of quantum mechanics, the m ℓ quantum number follows the rule mℓ = (-ℓ-1), (-ℓ),..,0,...(ℓ), (ℓ+1). This rule affects the maximum number of electrons that can fill the 2p orbitals. In this case, the maximum number of electrons is 10, as each m ℓ value corresponds to 2 electrons. However, this can vary depending on the specific orbital, as seen with the 2s orbital which can only hold 2 electrons.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

In a universe different from ours, the laws of quantum mechanics are the same as ours with one small change. In this different universe the m ℓ quantum number obeys this rule.

mℓ = (-ℓ-1), (-ℓ),..,0,...(ℓ), (ℓ+1)

In this different universe, what is the maximum number of electrons required to fill the 2p orbitals?

Determine only the electrons in the indicated p orbitals not any in other orbitals

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do this question? I though m ℓ didn't affect the number of electrons in the p orbitals, so i put that the answer for the maximum number of electrons in 2p orbital was 6, however that was wrong. So, how do I do this? How does the m ℓ affect the maximum number of electrons? Would the answer be 10, since m ℓ would be values of -2, -1, 0, 1, 2? This really makes no sense to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
name_ask17 said:
Would the answer be 10, since m ℓ would be values of -2, -1, 0, 1, 2?

That's the intended logic behind.

It makes exactly as much sense as three orbitals for three possible ml values of -1, 0, 1 (at least as long as you don't know where the rule limiting possible values of ml comes from).

But i don't understand. Does each m ℓ value correspond to 2 electrons? Like in a normal universe?

Yes.

I don't follow this logic. For example, if it was 3p insetead of 2p, m ℓ would be -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 in normal universe. This would mean the max is 10, which is not true. The max is still 6.

The way it works here is that we always have three p orbitals (regardless of n) - usually denoted px, py and pz. But we can write them as p-1, p0 and p1 as well. In the other universe there would be p-2, p-1, p0, p1 and p2.

Perhaps you are confused by the fact that "orbital" can mean either 3p or 3px (or just px, without any more detailed specification).

What's the value of m for 3p. Its 1. So, the values of l are -1, 0 and +1.

You took it wrong. Think again!

ohh right. yes, i was thinking of it wrong. but if i have something like 2s. then l= 0, and ml is also 0, right? so there's only 1 possible ml value there, so according to the original question, in a regular universe the max electrons is 2, so in this alternate universe, it would also be 2?

Since it is not stated that each orbital can hold x electrons, so yes, its 2.

1. What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are numerical values that describe the energy, position, and spin of an electron in an atom.

2. How many types of quantum numbers are there?

There are four types of quantum numbers: principal quantum number, azimuthal quantum number, magnetic quantum number, and spin quantum number.

3. What is the role of principal quantum number in quantum mechanics?

The principal quantum number determines the energy level and size of an orbital in an atom.

4. How do you determine the azimuthal quantum number?

The azimuthal quantum number is determined by the shape of the orbital and can have values from 0 to n-1, where n is the principal quantum number.

5. Can quantum numbers be negative?

Some quantum numbers, such as the magnetic and spin quantum numbers, can have negative values. However, the principal and azimuthal quantum numbers are always positive.