Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum numbers in wikipedia's table

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I don't understand why there are 2 dashed values in this table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_number#Quantum_numbers_with_spin-orbit_interaction.
    I have that [itex]j=l+s,l+s-1,...,|l-s|[/itex]. So let's take #1 of the table.
    They give l=1 and we know that [itex]s=1/2[/itex]. Thus [itex]j=l+s=3/2[/itex] or [itex]j=l-s=1/2[/itex]. Why is l-s=1/2 dashed?!
    The same question appears for #6.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It violates the rule from

The projection of the total angular momentum along a specified axis (mj = −j, −j + 1, …, j), which is analogous to m, and satisfies mj = mℓ + ms where |mℓ + ms| < j.

(also on the webpage you referenced).

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you. But I am confused. They say that mj goes from -j to j via integers. And then that the modulus of mj must be strictly smaller than j. Thus how can mj be worth j?

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah nevermind, I understood. In that example, if j=1/2, you can't get an mj=3/2 because if j=1/2 then mj=-1/2 or 1/2.
    But shouldn't they say [itex]|m_l+m_s| =|m_j| \leq j[/itex] rather than < j?

6. Dec 2, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, now that I think about it, it should include equality, too. Typo, maybe.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook