• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Quantum pharmacology: where to study and how

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everybody! I would like to know if anybody know "how to become a quantum pharmacologist".
I am at the first year of the BSc in Biotechnology and i am studying quantum physics by my own: i found out that with quantum chemistry we can determine the interaction and the properties of all the molecule so i would like to study how to use that for alternatives to animal testing.
Anybody can help me?
Thank you very much, good evening!

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I've never heard of a "quantum pharmacologist" before and quite franky the term sounds a little Deepak Chopra-ish.

Probably what you're looking for is the branch of biophysics that looks at phamacokinetics. I suspect there are a number of possible avenues to get into that such as undergraduate work in physics or physical chemistry that lead to graduate work in pharmacokinetics.

Like Choppy, I have never heard of quantum pharmacology. In addition to his idea, maybe you're thinking of computational drug design?

Also, this type of work is still mostly classical.

There is a group of research in a big university in Sweden which makes research in this field, maybe Stockholm...
I want to apply quantum mechanics law to biological substances and maybe biophysics is what i am looking for! Is there any possibility for me (BSc in Biotechnology) to be admitted in a MSc in Biophysics?