1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics- kinetic energy of electron after collision

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

since the bombarding electron has only 7.0eV ... it's not sufficient for the electron in the ground state to be excited which needs 10.4eV , so no excitation occur. and in my opinion, the bombarding electron should emerge with the same amount of energy .... but the ans given is here different . Can somoene explain what's the ans is about? thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    SAMPLE ANS : 7.0- ( (-3.7eV) - (-10.4eV) ) = 0.3eV...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2
    The picture does not show what the question is.
    You cannot discuss the answer unless you know the question.:)

4. Oct 3, 2014 #3
    Sorry.. The question should be
    If the kinetic energy of an electron 7.0eV collides elastically with an atom in ground state , what's the kinetic energy of the elctron after collision? Ps I forgot to post the question........

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4
    It need 10.4 eV to ionize the atom but not to excite it.
    The atom can go from the ground state to one of the other states in the diagram. This transition will require less than 10.4 eV. Which transitions are possible in this case?

6. Oct 3, 2014 #5
    -10.4eV to- 5.5eV , -10.4eV to -3.7eV are possible

7. Oct 3, 2014 #6
    What will be the KE of the initial electron after each of these two processes?

8. Oct 3, 2014 #7
    for -10.4eV to- 5.5eV , using ke= hf-W
    i have ke= 7.0eV - ( 10.4-5.5) = 2.1eV
    for -10.4eV to -3.7eV , i have ke= 7.0eV - ( 10.4-3.7) =0.3eV

so? what does it mean?

9. Oct 3, 2014 #8
    What do you mean?
    What was the question, again?

10. Oct 3, 2014 #9
    If the kinetic energy of an electron 7.0eV collides elastically with an atom in ground state , what's the kinetic energy of the elctron after collision?

11. Oct 4, 2014 #10
    So what did you find in the previous calculation? Were not these values of kinetic energy after collision?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted