1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics time evolution of an overlap

1. Jul 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to solve the following problem. (a) was easy but I am stuck at (b).
    Quantum.png

2. Relevant equations

Since we are told that the Hamiltonian is conserved, and the answer is in terms of the uncertainty of H, I assume I have to use the conservation of uncertainty. Maybe I could use the Schrödinger equation to see how time affects the wave function.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the Schrödinger equation I have $$\psi (t) = \psi (0) + \frac{1}{i\hbar}H\psi(0)t + O(t^2)$$
    However I don't find this particularly useful since I can't get from here to the uncertainty of H easily. I have tried the case with just two states but didn't accomplish anything. Dimensional analysis suggests something like $$ 1 - \frac{\Delta H^2}{\hbar^2}dt^2 + O(t^3) $$
    I have no idea how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You also need the 2nd order term
    $$
    -\frac{H^2t^2}{\hbar}\psi(0)
    $$
    May be the problem asks you to make use of the uncertainty formula for energy ##\Delta H^2 = \langle H^2\rangle - \langle H\rangle ^2##.

4. Jul 23, 2017 #3
    Thank you. Once I added the second term it was very clear how I should proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted