QM: The time evolution of a Gaussian wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the homework problem of calculating the time evolution of a free particle in one dimension using the wave function and Fourier-transform. There is confusion about using the Hamiltonian and the suggestion to use the Fourier transform of g(k) instead of the original function. It is clarified that the initial wave function is not an eigenfunction of the free space Hamiltonian and the proper approach involves using the closure relation in momentum space. The conversation ends with a question about the inner product ⟨x|p⟩ and the clarification that it is the eigenfunction of the operator -iℏd/dx.
DiracNotationKillsMe
Heads up, I only recently got into quantum mechanics and don't feel like I got a solid grasp on the material yet.

1. Homework Statement

Given is the wave function of a free particle in one dimension:
\begin{equation}
\psi(x,0) = \left( \frac{2}{\pi a^2} \right)^{1/4} e^{i k_0 x} e^{-x^2/a^2}
\end{equation}
I already calculated the Fourier-transform (necessary in another part):
\begin{equation}
g(k) = ( 2 \pi )^{-1/4} \sqrt{a} e^{-(k_0 - k)^2 a^2/4}
\end{equation}
Now I am tasked with calculating the time evolution ψ(x,t).

Homework Equations

We were given hints by tutors for using the time-operator:
\begin{equation}
|\psi (x, t)> = e^{-i / \hbar \hat{H} t } | \psi(x,0) >
\end{equation}
Thus, we would only need to find the eigenvalue of the hamiltonian:
\begin{equation}
\hat{H} | \psi(x,0)> = \lambda | \psi(x,0) >
\end{equation}
However, against my intuition of just putting in my original wave function and calculating away ( which yields a λ depending on x ), they told us to use the Fourier-transform of g(k) instead:

\begin{equation}
\hat{H} | \psi(x,0)> = \hat{H} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int g(k) e^{ikx} dk
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating it the way they told us to, but the resulting integral seems endless and doesn't come to a head after hours of trying. Even if i were to finish it, it seems to me that the final term would still depend on x. I am also not that skilled in calculating eigenvalues, so allow me to ask: would it be fine if the eigenvalue for the Hamiltonian depends on x ( doesn't seem like it to me )? I'd also appreciate someone explaining to me why I'd have to use the double transformed function instead of the original one.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracNotationKillsMe said:
\begin{equation}
\hat{H} | \psi(x,0)> = \lambda | \psi(x,0) >
\end{equation}

It doesn't make sense to write that since ##|\psi(x,0)\rangle## isn't an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian,.

What are the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian? Once you identify those, it might make more sense why it's been suggested you use the Fourier transform.

DiracNotationKillsMe said:
No, the initial wavefunction is clearly not an eigenfunction of free space Hamiltonian.
Your starting point is the equation (3) but I would rewrite it in a more proper way.
$$
|\psi(t) \rangle = e^{iHt/\hbar} |\psi(t=0) \rangle
$$
where ##H = \frac{\hat p ^2}{2m}##. Since the Hamiltonian is a function of only momentum operator, it will be helpful to use closure relation in momentum space ##I = \int |p\rangle \langle p| dp## where ##I## is the identitty operator. Now insert it to the right of the time propagation operator to get
$$
|\psi(t) \rangle = \int e^{ip^2t/(2m\hbar)} |p\rangle \langle p|\psi(t=0) \rangle dp
$$
Now ##p## in the exponential factor is just a number not an operator as it was before. Since you want the state in position space, you need to project it with ##\langle x|## to get
$$
\langle x|\psi(t) \rangle = \int e^{ip^2t/(2m\hbar)} \langle x|p\rangle \langle p|\psi(t=0) \rangle dp
$$
You have calculated ##\langle p|\psi(t=0) \rangle## as ##g(k)## above (note that ##p=\hbar k##).

Note: didn't realize vela has posted his answer while I was writing mine.

Thanks for the replies, now it actually starts to make sense.

Regarding your reply, blue_leaf77, I generally understand your approach but am wondering what exactly I have to write for ⟨x|p⟩. Would it be fine to just write it as the inner product
\begin{equation}
\langle x | p \rangle = \hat{X} \hat{P}
\end{equation}
since the particle only exists in one dimension?

⟨x|p⟩ is the momentum eigenstate projected into position space, in other words it's the eigenfunction of the operator ##-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}##, shouldn't be too hard to calculate it or just make advantage of its popularity by searching in the internet.

Ah, obviously. Thanks for the help, you cleared a lot of things up for me.

1. What is a Gaussian wave function?

A Gaussian wave function is a type of quantum mechanical wave function that describes the probability amplitude of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is often used to model wave packets in quantum systems.

2. How does a Gaussian wave function evolve over time?

A Gaussian wave function evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum states. This equation shows that the wave function will spread out and become more diffuse as time goes on.

3. What is the significance of the time evolution of a Gaussian wave function?

The time evolution of a Gaussian wave function is significant because it allows us to understand how quantum systems behave over time. It shows how the probability distribution of a particle changes as it moves through space and interacts with other particles.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the time evolution of a Gaussian wave function?

Yes, the time evolution of a Gaussian wave function has many real-world applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, quantum computing, and quantum chemistry. It is used to model the behavior of particles in these systems and to make predictions about their behavior.

5. How can the time evolution of a Gaussian wave function be visualized?

The time evolution of a Gaussian wave function can be visualized through animations or graphs that show how the shape and spread of the wave function changes over time. These visualizations can help us better understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their behavior.