1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Queries on the Harmonic Oscillator

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1

Hi folks,

I wonder if I could run a few things past the quantum gurus among you - I'm just not quite convinced of some of the results I've been deriving.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the ground state of the simple harmonic oscillator at t = 0 with the normalised wave function [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}}e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}[/tex].

If the position uncertainty is defined as [tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{<\widehat{x}^{2}>-<\widehat{x}>^{2}}[/tex] and the momentum uncertainty as [tex]\Delta p = \sqrt{<\widehat{p}^{2}>-<\widehat{p}>^{2}}[/tex], determine the product [tex]\Delta x . \Delta p[/tex]. Comment on the result.

3. The attempt at a solution

I begin by observing that [tex]<\widehat{x}>[/tex] and [tex]<\widehat{p}>[/tex] are both zero, by symmetry arguments. Thus [tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{<\widehat{x}^{2}>}[/tex] and [tex]\Delta p = \sqrt{<\widehat{p}^{2}>}[/tex].

I go on to calculate [tex]<\widehat{x}^{2}>[/tex] and [tex]<\widehat{p}^{2}>[/tex].

I find that [tex]<\widehat{x}^{2}> = \frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}[/tex], a result I am pretty confident of (it was an easy integration).

My queries arise for [tex]<\widehat{p}^{2}>[/tex], which comes out as [tex]\hbar(m\omega - \frac{1}{2})[/tex], giving [tex]\Delta x . \Delta p = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}} . \sqrt{\hbar(m\omega - \frac{1}{2})} = \hbar\sqrt{1/2 - 1/4m\omega}[/tex] - not a very "nice" result. I'm suspicious.

I make [tex]<\widehat{p}^{2}>[/tex] to be

[tex]<\widehat{p}^{2}> = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}.(-\hbar^{2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}).(e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}) dx = . . . = \sqrt{m^{3}\omega^{3}\hbar/\pi}.I_{2} - \sqrt{m^{3}\omega^{3}/\pi\hbar}.I_{1}[/tex]

[tex](\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}).(e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}) = ... = -\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}.e^{-m\omega x^2/2\hbar} + (\frac{m\omega}{\hbar})^2.x^2.e^{-m\omega x^2/2\hbar}[/tex],

[tex]I_{1} = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}x^2.e^{-m\omega x^2/\hbar} dx = ... = \sqrt{\frac{\pi\hbar^{3}}{4m^{3}\omega^{3}}}[/tex]
    [tex]I_{2} = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-m\omega x^2/\hbar} dx = ... = \sqrt{\frac{\pi\hbar}{m\omega}}[/tex]

determining finally that [tex]\hbar(m\omega - \frac{1}{2})[/tex]

Has something gone wrong here, perhaps, or should I just accept the result?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

there is something wrong here. Look below at your second derivative of x^2 times the exponential. The two terms you get from the second derivative have a relative factor of m omega/ hbar. and yet in the above expression th erelative factor is not m omega/hbar. Check that equation.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

You are right. The expression should have read:

[tex]<\widehat{p}^{2}> = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}.(-\hbar^{2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}).(e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} x^2}) dx = . . . = \sqrt{m^{3}\omega^{3}\hbar/\pi}.I_{2} - \sqrt{m^{5}\omega^{5}/\pi\hbar}.I_{1}[/tex]

This eventually leads to [tex]\hbar m\omega / 2[/tex], and then we do indeed derive Heisenberg's uncertainty relation in the form [tex]\hbar / 2 [/tex]

Many thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?