1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Theory: Operator Exponentiation

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] denote position and momentum eigenstates, respectively. Show that [itex]U^n\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]x[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]U = e^{ip}[/itex]. Show that [itex]V^n\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]p[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]V = e^{ix}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [itex](e^{ip})^{n} = e^{inp}[/itex], since p obviously commutes with itself; I also know that momentum is defined as the generator of translations, which leads to a translation operator [itex]T(x') = e^{(\frac{ipx'}{\hbar})}[/itex] with the property that [itex]T(x') \left| x \right\rangle = \left|x+x'\right\rangle[/itex], which is also an eigenstate of [itex]x[/itex]. Is the solution as simple as identifying [itex] U^n [/itex] with the translation operator, with [itex]n[/itex] in units of length/action?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Consider the action of the commutator [itex][U^n, p][/itex] on the ket [itex]|x\rangle[/itex]

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    I think you meant [itex][U^n,x][/itex], and if so, I got it! Thanks a lot.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I did, and you're welcome! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook