Quantum time dependant perturbation HW

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of an atom being in the state 2p when an electric field is applied in the z direction at t=0. It is determined that the perturbation dies off exponentially with time, so it has the same effect as turning on and off a perturbation. The desired probability is equal to the sum of probabilities for each 2p state. It is also determined that the perturbation is not the electric field itself, but the electric potential associated with it.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We consider an hydrogen atom in its fundamental state. At t=0, we apply an electric field in the z direction,

[tex]\mathcal{E}(t)=\mathcal{E}_0e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]

What is the probability that the atom be in the state 2p at [tex]t>>\tau[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought time dependant perturbation theory failed for large time... So what is going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:

Homework Statement

We consider an hydrogen atom in its fundamental state. At t=0, we apply an electric field in the z direction,

[tex]\mathcal{E}(t)=\mathcal{E}_0e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]

What is the probability that the atom be in the state 2p at [tex]t>>\tau[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought time dependant perturbation theory failed for large time... So what is going on here?

There is no problem because the perturbation dies off exponentially with time. So this has the same net result as turning on a perturbation for a finite time and then turning it off.

Okay!

-----------

But wait a second.

I said that the desired probability is equal to the sum of the 3 probabilities corresponding to each of the 2p state, i.e. for m=-1,0,1:

[tex]\mathcal{P}_{1s\rightarrow 2p}(t)=\sum_{m=-1}^1\mathcal{P}_{1s\rightarrow 2p}^{(m)}(t)[/tex]

Now, to first order,

[tex]\mathcal{P}_{1s\rightarrow 2p}^{(m)}(t)=\frac{1}{\hbar^2}|\int_0^t dt' e^{i\omega_{1s\rightarrow 2p}t'}W_{1s\rightarrow 2p,m}(t')|^2[/tex]

where

[tex]W_{1s\rightarrow 2p,m}(t')=<1,0,0|\mathcal{E}(t')|2,1,m>=\mathcal{E}_0e^{-t'/\tau}<1,0,0|2,1,m>[/tex]

But |1,0,0> and |2,1,m> are both eigenstates of the hydrogen atom hamiltonian, so they are orthogonal and each of my probabilities are 0, no?

Last edited:
It is also zero also to second order:

[tex]\mathcal{P}^{(m)}_{1s\rightarrow 2p,m}(t)=\frac{\mathcal{E}_0^4}{\hbar^4}|\sum_{k}\left(\int_0^te^{i\omega_{k\rightarrow 2p}t'}\hat{W}_{k\rightarrow 2p,m}(t')\left(\int_0^{t'}e^{i\omega_{1s\rightarrow k}-t''}\hat{W}_{1s\rightarrow k}(t'')dt''\right)dt'\right)|^2[/tex]

But, because of the same orthonormality thing as with fist order,

[tex]\hat{W}_{k\rightarrow 2p,m}(t')=e^{-t'/\tau}\delta_{k;2p,m}[/tex]

and

[tex]\hat{W}_{1s\rightarrow k}(t'')=e^{-t''/\tau}\delta_{k;1s}[/tex]

So

[tex]\mathcal{P}^{(m)}_{1s\rightarrow 2p,m}(t)=0[/tex]

to second order also.

Am I doing something wrong?

The problem was that the perturbation is not E itself; it's the electric potential associated with E(t)! Duh!

1. What is quantum time dependent perturbation theory?

Quantum time dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the effects of small perturbations on the time evolution of a system. It allows for the calculation of the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another under the influence of an external perturbation.

2. How is quantum time dependent perturbation theory used in scientific research?

Quantum time dependent perturbation theory is used in a wide range of scientific research, including quantum chemistry, solid state physics, and atomic and molecular physics. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of systems under the influence of electromagnetic fields.

3. What are the limitations of quantum time dependent perturbation theory?

Quantum time dependent perturbation theory is limited to systems that are linear or can be approximated as linear. It also assumes that the perturbation is small compared to the system's natural energy scale. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of quantum tunneling and non-linear interactions.

4. Can quantum time dependent perturbation theory be applied to macroscopic systems?

No, quantum time dependent perturbation theory is only applicable to microscopic systems at the quantum scale. It does not accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic systems, which are governed by classical mechanics.

5. How does quantum time dependent perturbation theory differ from time independent perturbation theory?

Quantum time dependent perturbation theory considers the effects of external perturbations on the time evolution of a system, while time independent perturbation theory deals with the effects of small perturbations on the energy levels of a system. Additionally, time dependent perturbation theory is used for systems that are driven by external forces, while time independent perturbation theory is used for systems in equilibrium.