Quantum tunneling and the universe

In summary, Alexander Vilenkin's model of cosmic origins suggests that the universe came into being through a quantum tunneling event, but this would require the universe to be closed. However, current evidence suggests that the universe is probably flat with a margin of error of less than 1%. This does not necessarily mean that Vilenkin's model is incorrect, as the rapid expansion of the early universe during inflation could have made any curvature undetectable. The assumption of a closed universe also allows for a net energy of zero, which is necessary for the universe to come from "nothing". However, there is still debate about how this assumption relates to the actual curvature of the universe.
Rational T said:
Vilenkin's of cosmic says could have began acausally as a . If what you are saying is true, that only determinism can explain this, then this is contradictory. How can something deterministic explain an acausal ? Also, appealing to multiple universes is a violation of Parsimony...I think you see the problem here.

like you said, vilenkin...

i do not agree completely with him.

some time ago i asked him personally, why exist the universe and he answered "rather ask the dalai lama" and after
we laugh a while...

and respect to many world, i dislike.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
why you say determinism ?

audioloop said:

"...assumes that the state vector of the whole of any isolated system does not collapse, but evolves deterministically according to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation..."

You said it. All I'm saying, is that it's simpler to assume an observer from the outside collapsed the wave-function of the universe, than to introduce many worlds to explain it. Many worlds seems like a violation of Parsimony and Occam's Razor, to try to avoid the conclusion that an observer caused the universal wave-function collapse. One observer is simply than many worlds.

audioloop said:

My point is that quantum tunneling is presented as an acausal event by advocates like Vilenkin, this is impossible though because something must have caused the universal wave-function collapse. If you appeal to many worlds to solve the problem, then you violate Occam'z Razor.

Rational T said:
"...assumes that the vector of the whole of any isolated system does not , but evolves deterministically according to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation..."

You said it. All I'm saying, is that it's simpler to assume an observer from the collapsed the -function of , than to introduce many worlds to explain it. Many worlds seems like a violation of Parsimony and Occam's Razor, to try to avoid the conclusion that an observer caused the wave-function . One observer is simply than many worlds.

i dislike many worlds, i am no aduce from it.

Rational T said:
If you appeal to many worlds to solve the problem, then you violate Occam'z Razor.

not me.

in many world there is no collapse.

i advocate objective collapse models. i.e. nonlinear quantum mechanics.

audioloop said:
not me.

audioloop said:
i dislike many worlds, i am no aduce from it.

So you agree that an observer must have collapsed the universal wave-function. Since you dislike the many worlds idea..

Rational T said:
So you agree that an observer must have collapsed the -function. Since you dislike the many worlds idea..

no observers, in objective collapse models there is no need of observers.

audioloop said:
no observers, in objective collapse models there is no need of observers.

So, are you saying that Alexander Vilenkin's model based on objective collapse? Also, if no observers are required, then what actually does collapse the wave-function?

Rational T said:
What external complex system could have interacted with the wave-function to cause it to collapse though?
It doesn't have to be external. It just needs enough disparate parts that are tightly-interacting to cause collapse. One way of thinking of this is to divide the wavefunction into two regions that are tightly-interacting. As long as each region has enough complexity, the other will be forced to effectively collapse.

Chalnoth said:
It doesn't have to be external. It just needs enough disparate parts that are tightly-interacting to cause collapse. One way of thinking of this is to divide the wavefunction into two regions that are tightly-interacting. As long as each region has enough complexity, the other will be forced to effectively collapse.

So basically, are you saying the wave-function of the universe self-collapsed? If so, how often does this really occur in the real world without external measurement being a necessary condition?

Chalnoth said:

Also, aren't quantum events contingent to space-time? Or, is it just as plausible for a quantum tunneling event to emerge from a state void of space-time? Thank you.

Rational T said:
Also, aren't quantum events contingent to space-time? Or, is it just as plausible for a quantum tunneling event to emerge from a state void of space-time? Thank you.
I think this is just an artifact of not knowing the correct theory of quantum gravity.

Also, Alexander's model only works if the universe is closed:

"The only verifiable (in principle) prediction of the model is that the universe must be closed." - http://mukto-mona.net/science/physics/a_vilinkin/universe_from_nothing.pdf

However, the theory of inflation predicts the universe is flat:

"The current theoretical belief (because it is predicted by the theory of cosmic inflation) is that the universe is flat..." - http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question35.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Rational T said:
Also, Alexander's model only works if the universe is closed:

"The only verifiable (in principle) prediction of the model is that the universe must be closed." - http://mukto-mona.net/science/physics/a_vilinkin/universe_from_nothing.pdf

"The current theoretical belief (because it is predicted by the theory of cosmic inflation) is that the universe is flat..." - http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question35.html

The first statement is right, but the second is false. Nothing inflation requires implies flatness, there are some models that work with a closed universe.

Rational T said:

Inflation doesn't predict absolute flatness. It merely predicts that the universe is driven from whatever curvature it started with towards extreme flatness.

Rational T said:
the wave-function of self-collapsed? If so, how often does this really occur in the real world [STRIKE]without external measurement being a necessary condition?[/STRIKE]

right.
called the collapse of the state vector

...an inherently probabilistic physical collapse, not limited as in the Copenhagen interpretation to measurement by a macroscopic apparatus, but occurring at all scales...

audioloop said:
right.

...an inherently probabilistic physical collapse, not limited as in the Copenhagen interpretation to measurement by a macroscopic apparatus, but occurring at all scales...

So it is self-collapsing, if not being caused to collapse by anything external. This means the universe is conscious. A self-collapsing wave function is a conscious experience. Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff's Orch-Or theory shows this, and nobody has been able to refute it.

audioloop said:
right.

This has been all I was trying to get at. If the wave-function of the universe wasn't collapsed by anything external, then it is self-collapsing. Since self-collapsing wave functions most likely equates to a conscious experience (nobody has refuted Orch-Or to date), then this proves the universe is conscious. This means, all acausal tunneling from nothing models fail, because they don't touch on what collapsed the universal wave-function, and neglect that is necessarily due to a conscious experience.

Rational T said:
Also, 's only works if is closed:

"The only verifiable (in principle) of the is that must be closed." - http://mukto-mona.net/science/physics/a_vilinkin/universe_from_nothing.pdf
re-read the post.

already posted:

audioloop said:
for tunneling universe

Cosmology and Open Universes
http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9905056.pdf

...Restricting ourselves to the Tunneling boundary condition, and applying it in turn to each of these curvatures, it is shown that quantum cosmology actually suggests that be open, k = −1...Quantum Creation of an Open Inflationary Universe
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9802038

If one uses the tunneling wave function for the description of creation of , then in most inflationary the universe should have Ω = 1, which agrees with the standard expectation that inflation makes the universe flat.Nonsingular instantons for the creation of open universes
Phys. Rev. D 59, 043509

We show that the instability of the singular Vilenkin instanton describing the creation of an open universe can be avoided using, instead of a minimally coupled scalar field, an axionic massless scalar field which gives rise to the Giddings-Strominger instanton.

you have to read more about current models to get a wide idea, not only from vilenkin (of boundary proposals)
Brane Cosmology
Boundary Cosmology
Bounce Cosmology
Quiescent Cosmology and other approaches...

audioloop said:
re-read the post.

already posted:

None of that has to do with the fact that a self-collapsing wave-function is a conscious experience. You admitted that the universal wave-function is self-collapsing, then this proves an ultimate consciousness. So, it seems science has proved what humans have known for thousands of years already. Thanks for your help!

Rational T said:
So it is self-collapsing, if not being caused to collapse by anything external. This means the universe is conscious.
No, it doesn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. No consciousness is required for collapse, as I already showed you earlier.

Chalnoth said:
No, it doesn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. No consciousness is required for collapse, as I already showed you earlier.

Yes, but your answer neglected Orch-Or.

Chalnoth said:

I suggest looking into Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff's work. A self-collapsing wave-function is a conscious experience.

Rational T said:
None of that has to do with the that a -collapsing wave-function is a conscious experience. You admitted that the universal wave-function is -collapsing, then this proves an ultimate . So, it seems science has proved what humans have known for thousands of years already. Thanks for your help!

has to do with your post:

Rational T said:
AAlso, Alexander's model only works if the universe is closed: 's only works if the universe is closed:

Rational T said:
I suggest looking into Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff's work. A self-collapsing wave-function is a conscious experience.
Oh, well, that would be because that's pseudoscientific nonsense that has no place in any sort of serious discussion. It's really sad that Penrose has more or less gone off the deep end. But it does happen.

Chalnoth said:
No, it doesn't. Not by any of the imagination. No is required for collapse, as I already showed you earlier.

right,

Collapse of the State Vector
Steven Weinberg
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.6462.pdf
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v85/i6/e062116

...the state vector of any system, large or small, undergoes a stochastic evolution. The general class of theories is described, in which the probability distribution of the state vector collapses to a sum of delta functions, one for each possible final state, with coefficients given by the Born rule...

Last edited:
Chalnoth said:
Oh, well, that would be because that's pseudoscientific nonsense that has no place in any sort of serious discussion. It's really sad that Penrose has more or less gone off the deep end. But it does happen.

Appeal to ridicule fallacy.

Rational T said:
Appeal to ridicule fallacy.

Rational T said:
I finally got an answer to my question by a poster on this site, and my thread gets removed. I broke no rules, so it seems some mod out there drunk with power. It is utterly pitiful, as I thought this was supposed to be a legitimate physics website, not one with corrupt mods.

be careful with your opinions, claims.

audioloop said:
be careful with your claims.

I am careful. Claiming something is "nonsense" without reasoning is an appeal to ridicule fallacy. Anybody can hand wave something away and mock it. That says nothing with regards to it's validity.

Rational T said:
I am careful. Claiming something is "nonsense" without reasoning is an appeal to ridicule fallacy. Anybody can hand wave something away and mock it. That says nothing with regards to it's validity.
I ridicule the Orch-OR theory because it deserves to be ridiculed. It's really that bad. The Wikipedia article has a somewhat okay summary of why it's so bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orch-OR#Criticism

Chalnoth said:
I ridicule the Orch-OR theory because it deserves to be ridiculed. It's really that bad. The article has a somewhat okay summary of why it's so bad:

Chal do not lose your time.

Chalnoth said:
I ridicule the Orch-OR theory because it deserves to be ridiculed. It's really that bad. The Wikipedia article has a somewhat okay summary of why it's so bad:

"Recently the debate has focused round papers by Reimers et al. and McKemmish et al. and Hameroff's replies to these, which is not regarded as being independently reviewed. The Reimers paper claimed that microtubules could only support 'weak' 8 MHz coherence, but that the Orch-OR proposals required a higher rate of coherence. Hameroff, however, claims that 8 MHz coherence is sufficient to support the Orch-OR proposal. McKemmish et al. makes two claims; firstly that aromatic molecules cannot switch states because they are delocalised. Hameroff, however, claims that he is referring to the behaviour of two or more electron clouds; secondly McKemmish shows that changes in tubulin conformation driven by GTP conversion would result in a prohibitive energy requirement. Against this, Hameroff claims that all that is required is switching in electron cloud dipole states produced by London forces.

You are right there are rebuttals. Too bad you neglect the fact that Hameroff answers all of them.

Rational T said:
You are right there are rebuttals. Too bad you neglect the fact that Hameroff answers all of them.
If only they were answered in a coherent manner that made any sense.

Rational T said:
None of that has to do with the fact that a -collapsing wave-function is a conscious experience. You admitted that the universal wave-function is self-collapsing, then this proves an ultimate consciousness. So, it seems science has proved what humans have known for thousands of years already. Thanks for your help!

self collapse comes from nonlinear quantum mechanics, nothing to do with conscious universe.