Quantum Tunneling: Observed properties of the particle within the barrier.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Repainted
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Hi.

Firstly, can a particle every be found within the potential barrier?

I've used the search function to look for an answer for this question, but I didn't really get anything conclusive. However, from what I gather, since there is a probability associated with it being 'found'(meaning it is observed at that position) within the barrier, if the experiment is conducted many times, there will be some cases where the particle is found in the classically forbidden region.

Now what happens if I force a measurement of the particle's momentum and hence its kinetic energy? I accept that its impossible for the particle to have both a definite momentum and position at the same time, but that doesn't stop me from forcing a measurement, just that I'll obtain a different results every time since its associated with a huge uncertainty.

So within the barrier the particle seems to have negative KE, but when a measurement of velocity is forced upon it, it will definitely have a positive KE(since you cannot have complex velocity). Where did the extra energy come from? Is it simply the act of observing it that disturbed its energy and made it seem to have more total energy than before?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in the act of measuring the particle's momentum and kinetic energy, you are introducing additional energy into the system. This extra energy is due to the uncertainty principle - the more precisely you measure one of a particle's properties (like position or momentum), the less precisely you can know the other property at the same time. So, when you measure the momentum of a particle, you are introducing energy to the system. This energy can be thought of as "uncertainty energy" - the energy associated with the uncertainty of the particle's momentum and kinetic energy.