Quark Model Families and Masses

In summary, the Quark Model is a theory that explains the structure of matter at a subatomic level, proposing that all particles are made up of smaller particles called quarks. There are three families of quarks with different masses and electric charges. The masses of quarks play a crucial role in determining the stability of atoms, with the proton's mass being essential for stability. Quark masses are considered fundamental properties and do not change, but in certain extreme conditions, they may appear to change due to a phenomenon called quark mass renormalization.
lelouch_v1
TL;DR Summary
Our teacher has given us some exercises.This is one that i had a hard time.I think that for the J=1/2 we will have a hexagon for the (Y,I_3) but i cannot prove it.
Consider the pseudoscalar and vector meson family, as well as the baryon
J = 1/2 family and baryon J = 3/2 family.
Within each multiplet, for each particle state write down its complete set
of quantum numbers, its mass, and its quark state content. Furthermore, for
each multiplet draw the (Y, I_3) and (Q, U_3) diagrams.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes ohwilleke

1. What is the Quark Model?

The Quark Model is a theoretical framework in particle physics that explains the structure of matter at the subatomic level. It proposes that protons and neutrons, which make up the nucleus of an atom, are composed of smaller particles called quarks.

2. How many families of quarks are there in the Quark Model?

There are three families, or generations, of quarks in the Quark Model: the up and down quarks (first generation), the charm and strange quarks (second generation), and the top and bottom quarks (third generation).

3. What are the masses of the different quark families?

The masses of the quarks vary significantly, with the up and down quarks being the lightest at approximately 2-5 MeV/c², and the top quark being the heaviest at around 172 GeV/c². The masses of the quarks in the second and third generations are in between these two extremes.

4. How do the quark families differ from each other?

The quark families differ in their masses, charges, and other quantum properties. For example, the first generation quarks have fractional electrical charges of +2/3 and -1/3, while the second and third generation quarks have charges of +2/3 and -1/3, respectively.

5. How does the Quark Model explain the stability of matter?

The Quark Model explains the stability of matter by proposing that quarks are bound together by the strong nuclear force to form composite particles such as protons and neutrons. These composite particles are then held together by the residual strong force, which is responsible for the stability of atomic nuclei.