Mesons and baryons written in terms of quarks

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of writing ##\pi^+=u\bar{d}## and ##\pi^0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(d\bar{d}-u\bar{u})##, and how to draw a Feynman diagram for ##\pi^0\rightarrow A+B##. It is explained that hadrons are complex objects and interpreting them as just their valence quark content does not accurately describe them. The approximate symmetry of QCD and the formation of the quark condensate lead to the observation of three psuedoscalar Goldstone modes, known as pions, which are isovectors. The quark content and basic structure of
Xico Sim
Hello, guys.

I have not understood what it means when one writes ##\pi^+=u\bar{d}##, for example. I though it simply meant that the ##\pi^+## meson was composed of one up-quark and one anti-down-quark. However, that doesn't explain what writing ##\pi^0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(d\bar{d}-u\bar{u})## means. I'd say that writing ##\pi^+=u\bar{d}## means that the ##\pi^+## meson's wavefunction is the tensor product of the wavefunctions of ##u## and ##\bar{d}##. Is that it?

A related question: how can one draw the feynman diagram for something like ##\pi^0\rightarrow A+B##? My problem is that I usually start by writing the quarks which constitute each particle, but in this case the left hand side particle is a composition of two "states". Shall I draw one feynman diagram for ## d\bar{d}## and another one for ##u\bar{u}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##\pi^0## is something like a superposition of ##d \bar d## and ##u \bar u##. Those are just the valence quarks, however - hadrons are complex objects, and interpreting them as just their valence quark content doesn't give an accurate description.

For Feynman diagrams involving neutral pions, choose either ##d \bar d## or ##u \bar u##.

Likes Xico Sim
The hadrons are ordered according to some (approximate) symmetries, related to QCD. In the case of the light hadrons (the part which consists only of u and d quarks and anti-quarks) this approximate symmetry is the chiral ##\mathrm{SU}(2)_L \times \mathrm{SU}(2)_R## symmetry, which is in the vacuum and at low temperatures and densities spontaneously broken by the formation of the quark condensate, which leads to a split in the masses of otherwise degenerate chiral-partner hadrons. It is also slightly explicitly broken by the finite quark masses.

The spontaneous breaking of the symmetry leads to the observation that only (approximate) isospin symmetry, i.e., the vector part ##SU(2)_V## is explicit, and that thus there must be 3 psuedoscalar Goldstone modes, and these are the pions. They are isovectors and thus given by the combinations
$$\vec{\pi}=\bar{\psi} \vec{\tau} \psi,$$
where ##\psi=(u,d)## is the isospin doublet of quarks (##u## and ##d## being both Dirac-spinor fields). ##\vec{\tau}## are the three Pauli matrices in this isospin space.

Another important quantum number is the electric charge, and the diagonalization to the charge eigenstates leads to
$$\pi_{\pm} = \pi_1 \pm \mathrm{i} \pi_2, \quad \pi_0=\pi_3.$$
From this it's easy to read off the quark content and the basic structure of the wave functions in terms of the naive quark model.

1. What are mesons and baryons?

Mesons and baryons are subatomic particles that are composed of quarks. Mesons are made up of one quark and one antiquark, while baryons are made up of three quarks.

2. What are quarks?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atoms. They have a fractional electric charge and are believed to be the smallest particles in the universe.

3. How are mesons and baryons written in terms of quarks?

Mesons are typically written as q̅q, where q represents a quark and q̅ represents an antiquark. Baryons are written as qqq, with three quarks in total. The specific combination of quarks determines the type of meson or baryon.

4. What is the role of mesons and baryons in the Standard Model of particle physics?

Mesons and baryons are important components of the Standard Model, which is the current theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. They are essential for explaining the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus of an atom together.

5. Can mesons and baryons be created or destroyed?

Yes, mesons and baryons can be created or destroyed in high-energy particle collisions. This is due to the fact that they are composed of quarks, which can also be created or destroyed in particle interactions.