Quark Scattering and Quark Flow Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy of an incoming beam that results in the highest cross section, the differences between two reactions using quark diagrams, and the potential peaks of the reactions. The Breit-Wigner formula is used to calculate the cross section, and the quark flow diagrams for both reactions are shown. It is suggested that the first reaction may be more favorable due to lighter products, but the differences in mass between the particles are small and may not have a significant effect. The second reaction has more options for how it can occur, but it is unclear how relevant this is.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find energy of incoming beam that creates highest cross section
(b) What are the differences in the two reactions, using quark diagrams?
(c) What would the peaks of the two reactions be like?

e9ys6p.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
[/B]
Cross section is given by Breit-Wigner formula:

[tex] \sigma = \frac{\pi}{k^2} \frac{\Gamma_i \Gamma_f}{ (E-E_0)^2 + \frac{\Gamma^2}{4}} [/tex]

Using centre of mass frames and 4-momentum:

I find ##E_{\pi} = \frac{E_0^2 - m_{\pi}^2 - m_p^2}{2m_p} = 329.3~MeV##.

Part(b)

First reaction is given by: ## \pi^{-} + p \rightarrow \pi^0 + n ## and quark flow diagram is shown:
mrxmxt.png

The second reaction is given by: ##\pi^{-} + p \rightarrow \pi^{-} + p## and quark flow diagram is shown:

aka7q1.png

I'm not sure how the reaction would be different. I'm guessing reaction 1 would be more favourable, since the products are lighter?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a wrong quark label at your outgoing neutron.
The mass differences between the pions are small and the differences between proton and neutron are even smaller (and in the opposite direction), I would not expect a significant effect from that.
The second reaction has more options how it can happen, but I don't know how relevant that is.

1. What is quark scattering?

Quark scattering is a fundamental process in quantum chromodynamics (QCD) where quarks, the building blocks of protons and neutrons, interact with each other through the exchange of gluons. This interaction is responsible for the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus of an atom together.

2. How are quark scattering events represented in diagrams?

Quark scattering events are typically represented using Feynman diagrams, which use lines and vertices to depict the interactions between particles. In these diagrams, quarks are represented by solid lines and gluons are represented by wavy lines. The direction of the lines indicates the direction of the flow of quarks and gluons.

3. What is the purpose of quark flow diagrams?

Quark flow diagrams are used to visualize the interactions between quarks and gluons in a scattering event. They help to illustrate the complex nature of these interactions and allow scientists to make predictions about the outcomes of these processes.

4. How do quark flow diagrams relate to the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. Quark flow diagrams help to explain how this force is mediated by the exchange of gluons between quarks, as depicted by the lines and vertices in the diagram.

5. Are quark flow diagrams only used in theoretical calculations?

No, quark flow diagrams are also used in experimental particle physics to analyze and interpret data from particle collisions. By comparing the observed diagrams with theoretical predictions, scientists can validate or refine our understanding of quark scattering processes.