1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering Cross Section - At high energies

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why does ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \tau^+ + \tau^- } \rightarrow 1## at high energies?

Would it be the same if it was ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- }##?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first reaction, propagator factor for the photon is ##\frac{1}{(2E)^2 - m_\gamma^2} = \frac{1}{4E^2}##. Two vertex factors are ##g_{EM}^2##. Thus ## |M_{fi}|^2 = |\frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2}|^2##.

Fermi's golden rule is given by:
    [tex]\Gamma = 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_f} [/tex]

Differential cross section is number of particles scattered per unit solid angle per unit time divided by flux:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} \Gamma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_f} [/tex]

The density of states is given by: ##dN = \frac{p^2_\mu}{(2\pi)^3} d\Omega dp_\mu## and substituting gives:

[tex] d\sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{dp}{dE_0} d\Omega [/tex]

At high energies, ##E_\mu \approx \frac{1}{2} E_0##, so ## \frac{dp_\mu}{dE_0} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{dp_\mu}{dE_\mu} = \frac{E_\mu}{p_\mu}##.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2
    At high energies, ##v_\mu \approx c##, so ##\frac{dp_\mu}{dE_\mu} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{E_\mu}{p_\mu} = \frac{1}{2c} = \frac{1}{2}##, letting c=1. This gives:

[tex] d\sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi \left( \frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2} \right)^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2} d\Omega [/tex]

[tex] \sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi \left( \frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2} \right)^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2} 4\pi [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{64} \frac{1}{\nu_e} \frac{1}{\pi} \frac{g_{EM}^2}{E_e^4} p_\mu^2 [/tex]

Using ##\frac{g_{EM}^2}{4\pi} = \alpha##,

[tex]\sigma = \frac{\pi}{4} \frac{1}{\nu_e} \frac{p_\mu^2}{E_e^4} \alpha^2 [/tex]

For highly relativistic case, ##p_\mu \approx E_\mu = E_e## and ##\nu_e \approx c = 1##.

[tex]\sigma = \frac{\pi}{4} \frac{1}{E^2} = \pi \frac{\alpha^2}{(2E)^2} = \pi \frac{\alpha^2}{s^2} [/tex]
    where ##s=2E## is the centre of mass energy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Feb 24, 2015 #3
    Since the scattering cross section only depends on:

a) Centre of mass energy
    b) ##g_{EM}##

Wouldn't both ##\rightarrow 1## at high energies (##p >> m##)?

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I find the 2nd question a little tricky...
    For the first you dealt only for one possible channel : the s-channel ..
    For the second case however, the electrons can also "not interact" at all... apart from annihilating and giving again e^+/- pair..

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5
    I think I got it.

Part (a)
    The cross section is proportional to ##|M_{fi}|^2##.

First process is given by:

[tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \gamma^* \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^-[/tex]

The propagator factor for this process is ## \frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_\gamma^2} = \frac{1}{P \cdot P}## since ##m_\gamma = 0 ##.

Second process is given by:

[tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow Z^0 \rightarrow \tau^+ + \tau^-[/tex]

The propagator factor for this process is ## \frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_Z^2} ##.

At high energies, this propagator factor ##\approx \frac{1}{P \cdot P}##

Thus they approach 1 at high energies.

Part (b)

Wouldn't this always be true? Given that the propagator factor for both are equal to ##\frac{1}{P \cdot P}##.

7. Mar 16, 2015 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The part a is clear for you I think... Even for photon interactions alone, the ratio you give approaches 1 for high energies...it can also be done for the Z0.

For part b, you don't have to think of propagators alone...
    you can have:
    [itex]e^- e^+ \rightarrow \gamma^* \rightarrow e^- e^+[/itex] (s-channel)
    as well as
    [itex] e^- e^+ \rightarrow e^- e^+[/itex] ...by t-channel...they don't have to annihilate to photon and produce the pairs again as you have to do for the case of muon products.

8. Mar 16, 2015 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

9. Mar 16, 2015 #8
    Their vertex factors are equal, since they the muons and electrons have equal charge.

But what about their propagator factors?

10. Mar 16, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

For high energies, the propagators of the weak and electromagnetic interaction are the same. It goes as [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]
    The difference comes by the 2nd diagram that is possible for the electron/positron products interaction and doesn't exist for the muons.

11. Mar 16, 2015 #10
    Which process dominates? Which is the "s-channel" and which is the "t-channel"?

12. Mar 16, 2015 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

In my figure the diagram with muons and the same one with electrons are the s-channel processes.
    The extra diagram for the [itex]e^- \rightarrow e^-[/itex] and [itex] e^+ \rightarrow e^+[/itex] which exists only for the [itex]e^-e^+ \rightarrow e^+ e^-[/itex] process is the t-channel....

I don't understand what you mean by "dominates". I am explainging why:
    [itex] \frac{e^+e^- \rightarrow \mu^+\mu^-}{e^+e^- \rightarrow e^+e^-}[/itex] shouldn't be 1.

13. Mar 16, 2015 #12
    All three are in the same picture.

By "dominate" I mean which is most frequent/most likely?

14. Mar 16, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

15. Mar 16, 2015 #14
    Got it. For electron-positron scattering, is the s-channel more likely or the t-channel more likely?

16. Mar 16, 2015 #15

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Both are the same (I think), since the interaction is symmetric under the interchange [itex]t \leftrightarrow s[/itex]
    But nevertheless, how can this "help" you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted