Scattering Cross Section - At high energies

Both are the same (I think), since the interaction is symmetric under the interchange t \leftrightarrow sBut nevertheless, how can this "help" you?In summary, at high energies, both reactions ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \tau^+ + \tau^- } \rightarrow 1## and ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- }## approach 1. The propagator factors for both reactions are equal to ##\frac{1}{P \cdot P}##
unscientific

Homework Statement

Why does ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \tau^+ + \tau^- } \rightarrow 1## at high energies?

Would it be the same if it was ## \frac{ e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- }{e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- }##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For the first reaction, propagator factor for the photon is ##\frac{1}{(2E)^2 - m_\gamma^2} = \frac{1}{4E^2}##. Two vertex factors are ##g_{EM}^2##. Thus ## |M_{fi}|^2 = |\frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2}|^2##.

Fermi's golden rule is given by:
[tex]\Gamma = 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_f} [/tex]

Differential cross section is number of particles scattered per unit solid angle per unit time divided by flux:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} \Gamma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_f} [/tex]

The density of states is given by: ##dN = \frac{p^2_\mu}{(2\pi)^3} d\Omega dp_\mu## and substituting gives:

[tex] d\sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{dp}{dE_0} d\Omega [/tex]

At high energies, ##E_\mu \approx \frac{1}{2} E_0##, so ## \frac{dp_\mu}{dE_0} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{dp_\mu}{dE_\mu} = \frac{E_\mu}{p_\mu}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At high energies, ##v_\mu \approx c##, so ##\frac{dp_\mu}{dE_\mu} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{E_\mu}{p_\mu} = \frac{1}{2c} = \frac{1}{2}##, letting c=1. This gives:

[tex] d\sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi \left( \frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2} \right)^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2} d\Omega [/tex]

[tex] \sigma = \frac{1}{2\nu_e} 2\pi \left( \frac{g_{EM}^2}{4E_e^2} \right)^2 \frac{p^2}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2} 4\pi [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{64} \frac{1}{\nu_e} \frac{1}{\pi} \frac{g_{EM}^2}{E_e^4} p_\mu^2 [/tex]

Using ##\frac{g_{EM}^2}{4\pi} = \alpha##,

[tex]\sigma = \frac{\pi}{4} \frac{1}{\nu_e} \frac{p_\mu^2}{E_e^4} \alpha^2 [/tex]

For highly relativistic case, ##p_\mu \approx E_\mu = E_e## and ##\nu_e \approx c = 1##.

[tex]\sigma = \frac{\pi}{4} \frac{1}{E^2} = \pi \frac{\alpha^2}{(2E)^2} = \pi \frac{\alpha^2}{s^2} [/tex]
where ##s=2E## is the centre of mass energy.

Last edited:
Since the scattering cross section only depends on:

a) Centre of mass energy
b) ##g_{EM}##

Wouldn't both ##\rightarrow 1## at high energies (##p >> m##)?

unscientific said:
Wouldn't both →1\rightarrow 1 at high energies (p>>mp >> m)?

I find the 2nd question a little tricky...
For the first you dealt only for one possible channel : the s-channel ..
For the second case however, the electrons can also "not interact" at all... apart from annihilating and giving again e^+/- pair..

ChrisVer said:
I find the 2nd question a little tricky...
For the first you dealt only for one possible channel : the s-channel ..
For the second case however, the electrons can also "not interact" at all... apart from annihilating and giving again e^+/- pair..

I think I got it.

Part (a)
The cross section is proportional to ##|M_{fi}|^2##.

First process is given by:

[tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow \gamma^* \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^-[/tex]

The propagator factor for this process is ## \frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_\gamma^2} = \frac{1}{P \cdot P}## since ##m_\gamma = 0 ##.

Second process is given by:

[tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow Z^0 \rightarrow \tau^+ + \tau^-[/tex]

The propagator factor for this process is ## \frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_Z^2} ##.

At high energies, this propagator factor ##\approx \frac{1}{P \cdot P}##

Thus they approach 1 at high energies.

Part (b)

Wouldn't this always be true? Given that the propagator factor for both are equal to ##\frac{1}{P \cdot P}##.

The part a is clear for you I think... Even for photon interactions alone, the ratio you give approaches 1 for high energies...it can also be done for the Z0.

For part b, you don't have to think of propagators alone...
you can have:
[itex]e^- e^+ \rightarrow \gamma^* \rightarrow e^- e^+[/itex] (s-channel)
as well as
[itex] e^- e^+ \rightarrow e^- e^+[/itex] ...by t-channel...they don't have to annihilate to photon and produce the pairs again as you have to do for the case of muon products.

a1.jpg

ChrisVer said:

Their vertex factors are equal, since they the muons and electrons have equal charge.

But what about their propagator factors?

For high energies, the propagators of the weak and electromagnetic interaction are the same. It goes as [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]
The difference comes by the 2nd diagram that is possible for the electron/positron products interaction and doesn't exist for the muons.

ChrisVer said:
For high energies, the propagators of the weak and electromagnetic interaction are the same. It goes as [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]
The difference comes by the 2nd diagram that is possible for the electron/positron products interaction.

Which process dominates? Which is the "s-channel" and which is the "t-channel"?

unscientific said:
Which process dominates? Which is the "s-channel" and which is the "t-channel"?

In my figure the diagram with muons and the same one with electrons are the s-channel processes.
The extra diagram for the [itex]e^- \rightarrow e^-[/itex] and [itex] e^+ \rightarrow e^+[/itex] which exists only for the [itex]e^-e^+ \rightarrow e^+ e^-[/itex] process is the t-channel...

I don't understand what you mean by "dominates". I am explainging why:
[itex] \frac{e^+e^- \rightarrow \mu^+\mu^-}{e^+e^- \rightarrow e^+e^-}[/itex] shouldn't be 1.

ChrisVer said:
In my figure the diagram with muons and the same one with electrons are the s-channel processes.
The extra diagram for the [itex]e^- \rightarrow e^-[/itex] and [itex] e^+ \rightarrow e^+[/itex] which exists only for the [itex]e^-e^+ \rightarrow e^+ e^-[/itex] process is the t-channel...

I don't understand what you mean by "dominates". I am explainging why:
[itex] \frac{e^+e^- \rightarrow \mu^+\mu^-}{e^+e^- \rightarrow e^+e^-}[/itex] shouldn't be 1.

All three are in the same picture.

By "dominate" I mean which is most frequent/most likely?

a1.jpg

ChrisVer said:
Got it. For electron-positron scattering, is the s-channel more likely or the t-channel more likely?

Both are the same (I think), since the interaction is symmetric under the interchange [itex]t \leftrightarrow s[/itex]
But nevertheless, how can this "help" you?

What is scattering cross section?

Scattering cross section is a measure of the probability of a particle undergoing a scattering event when it interacts with another particle at high energies.

How is scattering cross section related to high energies?

At high energies, particles have more kinetic energy and therefore can interact with each other more strongly. This results in a larger scattering cross section.

What factors affect the value of scattering cross section at high energies?

The value of scattering cross section at high energies is affected by the types of particles involved, their relative energy, and the angle at which they interact.

Why is scattering cross section important in high energy physics?

Scattering cross section is an important tool for understanding the behavior of particles at high energies and can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces of nature.

How is scattering cross section experimentally measured at high energies?

Scattering cross section can be experimentally measured by colliding particles and observing the number and angle of scattered particles. This data can then be used to calculate the cross section value.