Quartz Dielectric in Capacitors: What Happens?

In summary, a quartz crystal will deform when a battery is connected across it, and this may cause an overshoot in voltage.
Salvador
Hi everyone.

I have been reading on capacitors and dielectrics , before that i was reading up on piezoelectric materials like quartz crystal.

My question is , what would happen if we put a layer of quartz crystal between two parallel plates of a capacitor ?
I think quartz is a dielectric to a degree , as a piezoelectric material would it gain charge as the plates would push on the layer of crystal ?What would happen , I'm interested to know.

Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting no replies , I'll try to ask diferently.

I read that a quartz produces charge when squezed.what would happen when i take two plates A and B with a quartz between them , connect them to battery , since + and - attract the plates would squeeze the quartz , would there be a voltage on the sides of the quartz and would it be proportional to the power from the battery ?

I'm also interested to what happens when a quartz that ahs been squezed is drained of its produced charge , does it shapes back to its original form , even with the external pressure still applied to it?

anyone interested in sharing something about the topic? :)

Piezeoelectricity

Hi Salvador!

Quartz has dielectric properties. You can look them up. Have you ever heard of or seen a capacitor made with quartz for its dielectric? I have not. There ought to be some reason and or explanation why there not used or not common.

Quartz crystal is piezeoelectric. You can look that up, starting with Wikipedia. Yes, if you connect a battery across a quartz crystal it will cause the crystal to deform (bend a little bit). The reverse is also true: if you bend (deform) the crystal it will become charged (polarized) and will generate some DC voltage measureable from one side to the other. When you release the applied force, the crystal tries to go back to its "original" (unperturbed) position. This may result in overshoot: the crystal has a natural resonant frequency at which it will vibrate (resonate). These quartz crystals are typically used in clocks to generate accurate time/frequency signals.

Do some research on your own. If you have any more questions, please return here and post them. Members here are always ready and willing to help a true searcher.

Bobbywhy

1. What is quartz dielectric and how is it used in capacitors?

Quartz dielectric is a type of material that is commonly used in capacitors due to its high stability, low loss, and high insulation properties. It is a type of crystalline material that is composed of silicon dioxide, and it is used as an insulating layer between the two conductive plates of a capacitor.

2. How does quartz dielectric affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The dielectric constant of quartz is relatively high, which means that it can store a larger amount of charge per unit of voltage compared to other dielectric materials. This results in an increase in the overall capacitance of the capacitor. Additionally, the high stability of quartz ensures that the capacitance remains consistent over time.

3. What happens when a voltage is applied to a capacitor with quartz dielectric?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor with quartz dielectric, the electric field causes the positively and negatively charged ions within the quartz crystal structure to align. This creates an electric dipole moment, which allows the capacitor to store electrical energy.

4. How does the temperature affect the performance of a capacitor with quartz dielectric?

The performance of a capacitor with quartz dielectric is relatively stable over a wide range of temperatures. However, at extremely high temperatures, the crystalline structure of the quartz can begin to break down, which can lead to a decrease in capacitance and an increase in leakage current.

5. What are the advantages of using quartz dielectric in capacitors?

The use of quartz dielectric in capacitors offers several advantages, including high stability, low loss, and high insulation properties. It also has a high breakdown voltage, which allows it to handle high voltages without breaking down. Additionally, quartz is a non-polar material, meaning it has a low dielectric absorption, resulting in a more efficient and effective capacitor.