Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qube root of 2, zero of second order polynomial

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    How do you prove that there does not exist numbers [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that

[tex]
    0 = a + b\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{2}^2
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

The polynomial [itex]X^2+aX+c[/itex] will have to divide [itex]X^3-2[/itex] in that case.

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    I think we only know that [itex]X-\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex] must divide [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex].

[itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] doesn't need to divide anything.

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5
    I see.

I have tried to read Galois theory earlier, and now I started remembering stuff. :cool: (Although that Wikipedia-page didn't help much...)

The knowledge that [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] must divide [itex]X^3-2[/itex] is one possible way to the proof, but actually the idea of the minimal polynomial can be used in more primitive ways too. For example, simply write

[tex]
    X^3 - 2 = (X^2 + bX + a)(X - b) + (b^2 - a)X + ab - 2
    [/tex]

and proof starts to appear.

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6
    What is the logic behind this statement? From a false premiss you can of course deduce anyhing you like, but I assume that is not your intended logic here. When it comes to minimal polynomials and such, the general result is usually the other way around: if g(x)[itex]\epsilon[/itex]Q[x] has a root [itex]\alpha[/itex], then the minimal polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex] divides g.

8. Mar 4, 2012 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the cube root of 2 satisfies a quadratic polynomial, then x3-2 is NOT the minimal polynomial (since there's a lower degree polynomial that gives us zero). So there are two possibilities

1) The minimal polynomial is degree 1 - obviously false
    2) The minimal polynomial is degree 2 - in this case, the quadratic polynomial we have must be the minimal polynomial

9. Mar 4, 2012 #8
    With the anti-thesis assumption the [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] becomes the "new" minimal polynomial. Or at least that's one way to get to the proof. See my reponse #5 to see the essential. There are several ways to complete the proof then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?