Query about an article on quantum synchronization

In summary: Therefore, all observables can be expressed in terms of these terms. In summary, due to the ##U(1)## symmetry, all nonzero observables in the system can be expressed in terms of ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle, \langle \hat{\sigma}^{+}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{-}_{(A,B)j} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle.##
Danny Boy
TL;DR Summary
Query in attached paper on quantum synchronization.
I am currently studying this paper on quantum synchronization. The first page gives an introduction to synchronization and the basic setup of the ensembles in the cavity. My query is on the second page where the following statements are made.

Because of the ##U(1)## symmetry, ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{\pm}_{(A,B)j} \rangle = 0##. Therefore, all nonzero observables can be expressed in terms of ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle, \langle \hat{\sigma}^{+}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{-}_{(A,B)j} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle.##

Can anyone see why the implication is that all observables can be expressed by these terms?

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• 1307.5891.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The statement is referring to the fact that, due to the ##U(1)## symmetry, the expectation values of the raising and lowering operators are zero. This means that any observables that can be expressed in terms of these operators will also have zero expectation values. As such, the only nonzero observables are those that can be expressed in terms of the ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle, \langle \hat{\sigma}^{+}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{-}_{(A,B)j} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)i}\hat{\sigma}^{z}_{(A,B)j} \rangle## operators, as these are the only ones which do not contain raising or lowering operators.

1. What is quantum synchronization?

Quantum synchronization is a phenomenon in which two or more quantum systems become correlated and exhibit similar behavior, even when they are not directly interacting with each other. This synchronization occurs due to the entanglement of the systems, where the quantum states of the systems become linked.

2. How does quantum synchronization differ from classical synchronization?

In classical synchronization, two systems become correlated through a shared physical interaction, such as a clock pendulum swinging in unison. In contrast, quantum synchronization occurs through the entanglement of the quantum states of the systems, without the need for a direct physical interaction.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum synchronization?

Quantum synchronization has potential applications in quantum computing, communication, and sensing. It can also be used to study complex quantum systems and improve our understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any challenges in studying and achieving quantum synchronization?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying and achieving quantum synchronization. One major challenge is the delicate nature of quantum systems, which can easily be disrupted by external factors. Another challenge is the difficulty in controlling and manipulating entangled quantum states.

5. Is there any current research on quantum synchronization?

Yes, there is ongoing research on quantum synchronization, with scientists exploring different methods for achieving and utilizing it. Some recent studies have focused on using quantum synchronization to improve the performance of quantum sensors and communication systems.