Question 1.7 Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Edition)

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating d<p>/dt using Schrodinger's equation and the expectation value of momentum. The conversation also mentioned using integration by parts and finding the expectation value of p to solve the problem. The use of Cramster was also mentioned, with the suggestion to seek help from the professor before looking up the answer.
aschulz90
Calculate d<p>/dt Answer: d<p>/dt = <-dV/dx>
generally speaking (I believe) you need to use scrodinger's equation (both of dphi/dt and dphi*/dt)
and the expectation value of momentum:

<p> = -i*h_bar * integral (phi* * dphi/dx) dx.

I would say that the way I used Cramster was just short of plagiarism because I really don't know what I'm doing with this problem. I don't believe we are supposed to use Hamiltonian to prove this problem because the book won't get to them 'till chapter 2.

The proof took about 1.5 pages and didn't even seem conclusive at the end. Could someone please just provide a general explanation of how this was solved?

I used Cramster already to answer this question (odd number so it's free to view with an account):
http://www.cramster.com/solution/solution/195547

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My quantum mechanics professor assigned this problem last year, it requires some fancy algebra.
Use the Schroedinger equation to find the expectation value of [itex]frac{dV}{dx}[/itex]. You'll have to get a bit creative and it involves using intergration by parts (if I remember how I did this problem).
You will also have to find the expectation value of p, then take the time derivative.

Next time try going to the professor for help before looking up the answer. You'll learn more.

1. What is the significance of Question 1.7 in Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Edition)?

Question 1.7 in Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Edition) is significant because it introduces the concept of spin in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental property of particles that cannot be explained by classical mechanics, and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is spin defined in quantum mechanics?

Spin is defined as an intrinsic angular momentum possessed by particles, which cannot be explained by their physical rotation. It is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values, and is represented by the spin quantum number (s). This number determines the magnitude of spin and the direction of its projection on a given axis.

3. What are the possible values of spin quantum number (s) and what do they represent?

The possible values of spin quantum number (s) are s = 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, etc. They represent the magnitude of spin and the direction of its projection on a given axis. For example, s = 1/2 represents a spin of 1/2, either up or down, along a certain axis.

4. How is spin related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. Spin plays a crucial role in this principle, as it is one of the properties that differentiate fermions (particles with half-integer spin) from bosons (particles with integer spin). This principle is essential in understanding the stability of matter and the organization of electrons in atoms.

5. How is spin measured and observed in experiments?

Spin is measured and observed in experiments using various techniques, including Stern-Gerlach experiments and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. In Stern-Gerlach experiments, the deflection of particles passing through a magnetic field is used to determine their spin. In NMR spectroscopy, the magnetic properties of particles are used to study their spin and interactions. These experiments have played a crucial role in confirming the existence and properties of spin in quantum mechanics.