Question about 50-60 inch LED / Plasma TVs

In summary: Basically, the quality of a TV's picture is largely determined by its resolution. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality of the picture. However, there's also a lot of other factors that can affect the quality of a TV's picture, such as its native resolution, the quality of its calibration, and the type of display technology it uses. So, it's really tough to give a definitive answer to this question. Basically, it depends on your individual needs and preferences.Well,...that's a tough question.Basically, the quality of a TV's picture is largely determined by its resolution. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality of the picture. However, there's also a lot of other factors
BarnRat
I currently have a 40-in Sharp LCD Aquos (5 years old) and I want to upgrade to a 50-in or 60-in LED or Plasma TV. My 40-in Sharp has a very clear picture when using the HDMI inputs. I am looking at Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and Sony models. Won't the picture (that I am used to on my 40-in screen) be "washed out" if I go to a larger screen? I plan to go to BestBuy to look at the picture quality on the 40-, 50-, and 60-in TVs. but maybe someone can advise me until I do.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I picked mine by looking at the display of TVs from a long distance and comparing. It was obvious which had the best picture.

Pick up a nice 4k TV. The HD is unreal. I think netflix has some 4K content.

Don and Greg, Thanks for the replies.

From what I've seen at stores, the 2K LCD / LED displays tend to look washed out, the actual effect seems to be a lack in subtle shading of colors (like a reduced number of bits per color on a computer monitor). The 2K plasma, 4K LCD / LED and the 2K OLED (new technology and expensive) have signifcantly better color. From what I hear, the plasma HDTVs are being phased out.

rcgldr said:
From what I hear, the plasma HDTVs are being phased out.
That is what I've read.

Thanks for the info.

rcgldr said:
From what I've seen at stores, the 2K LCD / LED displays tend to look washed out, the actual effect seems to be a lack in subtle shading of colors (like a reduced number of bits per color on a computer monitor). The 2K plasma, 4K LCD / LED and the 2K OLED (new technology and expensive) have signifcantly better color. From what I hear, the plasma HDTVs are being phased out.

Which is a real shame, in my opinion, since plasma has a substantially better image quality than the vast majority of lcd screens on the market.

cjl said:
Which is a real shame, in my opinion, since plasma has a substantially better image quality than the vast majority of lcd screens on the market.

I had a plasma 4-5 years ago and it ran very hot, burned in images and died quickly. LED 4K is the near future.

cjl said:
Plasma screens must be more expensive to produce?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I had a plasma 4-5 years ago and it ran very hot, burned in images and died quickly. LED 4K is the near future.
My CCFL-LCD Sharp 40-in has never burned an image on then screen. Are plasma TVs the only ones that do this?

BarnRat said:
My CCFL-LCD Sharp 40-in has never burned an image on then screen. Are plasma TVs the only ones that do this?
CRT based hdtvs (front or rear projection) also have this issue. The new OLED hdtvs would have this issue, unless the programming in the OLED hdtv is able to prevent this. The new OLED hdtv's blue segments will degrade faster than the other colors over time, but the computers inside the new OLED hdtv's will compensate for this by increasing the blue signal as the hdtv ages. I'm not sure if this is done via some type of self calibrating closed loop feedback (actual sensing of the colors) or open loop (based on elasped time for each of the colors with no actual feedback).

Greg Bernhardt said:

They do run hot, but the new ones don't have nearly the burn in problems of the old ones (you do still have to be a bit careful though). As for LED, unless you mean OLED, I really hope you're wrong - the image quality of plasma is so much better than LED LCD screens that it's a real shame that the market trends effectively are heading towards a downgrade. Plasma is the way to go, currently, until OLED becomes affordable (and I'm honestly unconvinced of the benefit of 4k at normal viewing distances and screen sizes).

cjl said:
I'm honestly unconvinced of the benefit of 4k at normal viewing distances and screen sizes.
It seems that the 4K LCD based monitors have better color than the 2K LCD monitors, which may be independent of the resolution, and the result of using better components in them.

cjl said:
I'm honestly unconvinced of the benefit of 4k at normal viewing distances and screen sizes

I was looking at some in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and a nice 4K TV with a true 4K signal is absolutely stunning. Completely blows away 2K HD.

Take a good look at the TVs on display and then choose what suits you best. Well, to be frank, the pictures do get washed out a bit, but it's up to you, what you want to choose! But sometimes it looks really great on bigger TVs!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I was looking at some in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and a nice 4K TV with a true 4K signal is absolutely stunning. Completely blows away 2K HD.
The image quality is fantastic, but at least in the demo video I watched in a store, motion looks pretty awful. I think we won't get really great video until the cameras have a much higher frame rate and the TVs are capable of handling that. And I think we won't get that until Blu-Ray has been replaced with something that can store a terabyte of data, or download speeds over the internet has increased to something like 150 MB/s.

I wouldn't pay extra for a 4K TV today, since there's so little 4K stuff to watch. But I suppose the situation could be similar to what it was a couple of years ago, when I was unwilling to pay extra for 3D, and still got a 3D TV because all the manufacturers included 3D in their best models. I have only used the 3D feature once.

By the way, when I download stuff, it's almost never worth the extra time to download 1080p, because 720p already looks great, and 1080p doesn't look much better.

The major factor (which isn't mentioned) is how far away one will be from the screen. That in relationship with pixel density will determine how washed-out or pixelated the screen looks. If you take a 1920x1080 tv, blow it up to 60" and stand 6' away, you'll definitely see major pixilation.

GET A PLASMA BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE ! This may be the last year they are made. Most problems of plasma have been fixed, though they do still consume more energy. LCD/LED tv's are cheaper to manufacture so most don't by plasma, but the superior images are worth it to me.

Why will it get 'washed out'? The pixels are the same regardless of how large the display is. Larger displays will either have larger pixels or more pixels, or both.

From various reviews I've seen when you upscale images, there tends to be a slight improvement rather than degrading as compared to low resolution panels.

dE_logics said:
Why will it get 'washed out'? The pixels are the same regardless of how large the display is. Larger displays will either have larger pixels or more pixels, or both.

From various reviews I've seen when you upscale images, there tends to be a slight improvement rather than degrading as compared to low resolution panels.

The pixels are the same, but the key point here is 'pixel density'. A 1080 television has exactly the same number of pixels at 28" and 65". 1080 is the number of pixel lines on the screen (1920x1080 for example). If you increase the size yet maintain the resolution, you WILL have degeigation of image quality if you do not increase your viewing distance from the display.

Never, will you ever, see an increase In quality when you upscale an image.

Relativity even applies to televisions! :D

1. What are the differences between LED and Plasma TVs?

LED TVs use light-emitting diodes to create the backlight, while plasma TVs use charged gas particles to create the picture. LED TVs are typically thinner and more energy-efficient, while plasma TVs have better color accuracy and viewing angles.

2. What is the ideal screen size for a 50-60 inch TV?

The ideal screen size for a 50-60 inch TV depends on the viewing distance. For a standard living room, a 50-55 inch TV is recommended for a viewing distance of 8-10 feet, while a 60 inch TV is suitable for a viewing distance of 10-12 feet.

3. Are there any health concerns associated with watching TV for long periods of time?

There are no significant health concerns associated with watching TV for long periods of time. However, it is recommended to take breaks and vary your viewing distance to reduce eye strain and fatigue.

4. What is the difference between 4K and 1080p resolution on a 50-60 inch TV?

4K resolution has a higher pixel count than 1080p, resulting in a sharper and more detailed picture. However, the difference may not be noticeable on a 50-60 inch TV unless the content is specifically filmed in 4K.

5. How long can I expect a 50-60 inch LED/Plasma TV to last?

The lifespan of a 50-60 inch LED/Plasma TV can vary depending on usage and maintenance, but on average, it can last anywhere from 5-10 years. Regular dusting and avoiding extreme temperatures can help prolong the lifespan of the TV.