Question about Balancing Redox Reactions

In summary, a redox reaction involves the transfer of electrons between two substances, with one substance losing electrons (oxidation) and the other gaining electrons (reduction). Balancing redox reactions is important for the conservation of mass and charge, and the process differs in acidic and basic solutions due to the presence of hydrogen and hydroxide ions. The steps for balancing a redox reaction include identifying the half-reactions, balancing atoms and charges, and multiplying to equalize the number of electrons. A redox reaction is balanced when the number of atoms and charges are equal on both sides.
Dove99x
I'm not really sure exactly if I'm doing these correctly but what stopped was the choice of adding 6 electrons to the left side..

Redux_Reaction.png

This is what I did:

Redox_2.png

This is their answer:

Redux_Reaction_2.png
I'm doing something wrong and I don't know why my answer is so different then theirs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your pictures. Perhaps that's just temporary. Try to attach them to your post.

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two substances. One substance loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

2. Why is it important to balance redox reactions?

Balancing redox reactions is important because it ensures that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction. This is necessary for the reaction to occur and for the conservation of mass and charge.

3. What is the difference between balancing redox reactions in acidic and basic solutions?

The main difference between balancing redox reactions in acidic and basic solutions is the presence of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in the reaction. In acidic solutions, hydrogen ions are added to balance out the charges, while in basic solutions, hydroxide ions are added. Additionally, water molecules may also be added to balance out oxygen atoms in basic solutions.

4. What are the steps for balancing a redox reaction?

The steps for balancing a redox reaction are as follows:

1. Identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions.

2. Balance the atoms other than hydrogen and oxygen in each half-reaction by adding coefficients.

3. Balance the oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the side that needs more oxygen.

4. Balance the hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions to the side that needs more hydrogen.

5. Balance the charges by adding electrons to the side that needs more negative charge.

6. Multiply each half-reaction by a number to make the number of electrons equal in both half-reactions.

7. Add the two half-reactions together and cancel out any common terms.

5. How do you know when a redox reaction is balanced?

A redox reaction is considered balanced when the number of atoms and charges are equal on both sides of the reaction equation. This means that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction, and the total charge is balanced.