Question about centre of percussion of a baseball bat

• Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of no change in velocity despite a change in angular velocity. The speaker attempts to express this concept using equations, but struggles to find the correct answer. Eventually, it is determined that using the centre of mass frame is the correct approach for problems involving angular momentum. The use of any other axis can lead to an incorrect result.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

35.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do the last part. How can there be no change in velocity of there is a change in angular velocity of the bat? Is the grip point acting as another axis?

Attachments

• 35.png
    35.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
How can there be no change in velocity of there is a change in angular velocity of the bat?
If the linear velocity of the mass centre changes and the angular velocity changes then there will be a unique point at which these two cancel, leaving no change in linear velocity.

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
If the linear velocity of the mass centre changes and the angular velocity changes then there will be a unique point at which these two cancel, leaving no change in linear velocity.
I tried to express change in angular velocity, which is
MΔv=J and Mk02 Δw = (d+1.3)J
Δv+Δw=0
so I get,
J/M + (dgrip+0.8)(d+1.3)J/ Mk02 = 0
Why can't I get the answer ?

Clara Chung said:
(d+1.3)J
Where does the 1.3 come from? What axis are you using here?
Clara Chung said:
Δv+Δw=0
You cannot add a velocity to an angular velocity.
You are trying to express the fact that a certain point does not change linear speed. How does its speed depend on the speed of the mass centre and its distance from the mass centre?
Be careful with signs.

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
Where does the 1.3 come from? What axis are you using here?

You cannot add a velocity to an angular velocity.
You are trying to express the fact that a certain point does not change linear speed. How does its speed depend on the speed of the mass centre and its distance from the mass centre?
Be careful with signs.
I am using the rotational pivot. Am I right?

Clara Chung said:
I am using the rotational pivot. Am I right?
Does that fit with the way k0 is defined?

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
Does that fit with the way k0 is defined?
Thank you so much. I solved it by using the centre of mass frame^^

Clara Chung said:
Thank you so much. I solved it by using the centre of mass frame^^
Very good.
For problems involving angular momentum, you should always use an axis that is either a point fixed in an inertial frame or the mass centre. Anything else can lead to a wrong result.

1. What is the "centre of percussion" of a baseball bat?

The centre of percussion of a baseball bat is the point on the bat where the impact of a ball creates minimal vibration and maximum energy transfer.

2. How is the centre of percussion of a baseball bat determined?

The centre of percussion is determined by finding the point on the bat where the ball can be struck without causing any noticeable vibration or discomfort to the hands. This is typically done through experimentation and trial and error.

3. Why is the centre of percussion important for a baseball player?

The centre of percussion is important for a baseball player as it allows for maximum energy transfer from the bat to the ball. This can result in a more powerful hit and increase the chances of getting a solid hit.

4. Can the centre of percussion change for a baseball bat?

Yes, the centre of percussion can change for a baseball bat depending on factors such as the material, shape, and weight of the bat. It can also vary for different players with different swing styles and strengths.

5. Is it important to find the centre of percussion for every baseball bat?

It is not necessary to find the centre of percussion for every baseball bat, but it can be beneficial for players to do so in order to determine the optimal point for hitting the ball with maximum power and efficiency. It can also help in selecting the right bat for a player's swing style.