Question About Continuity of an E field of a sphere

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the potential of a uniformly charged sphere with a given density and radius. The first two parts were solved correctly, but the third part asked about the discontinuity of the electric field at the surface. After discussing and providing a link for reference, it was concluded that the electric field is not discontinuous and the surface density is zero.
xxbigelxx

Homework Statement

Please calculate the potential for a sphere that is uniformly charged with density ρ0 and also has a radius of R.
a. r<R
b. r>R
c. Is there a discontinuity of Electric Field at the surface? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my work for the first two parts, which I am pretty sure is correct. However, I need help with the last part. I want to say that it is continuous, because of the nature of uniformly charged spheres. However I don't know if this is right, or how to really explain it. This is due tomorrow, so any help (especially if it's quick) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

http://i53.tinypic.com/xpszo7.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok great. Thanks.

Related to Question About Continuity of an E field of a sphere

What is the definition of continuity of an electric field?

The continuity of an electric field refers to the smoothness and connectedness of the field lines. In other words, it describes how the electric field changes as you move from one point to another.

How is the continuity of an electric field related to the continuity equation?

The continuity equation states that the flow of electric charge into a region must equal the flow of electric charge out of that region. This is directly related to the continuity of an electric field, as any breaks or disruptions in the field lines would result in a violation of the continuity equation.

What factors affect the continuity of an electric field in a sphere?

The continuity of an electric field in a sphere is affected by the distribution of charges within the sphere and the geometry of the sphere. The presence of any external electric fields can also impact the continuity of the field lines.

What happens to the continuity of an electric field at the surface of a charged sphere?

At the surface of a charged sphere, the continuity of the electric field is maintained, as the field lines are continuous and unbroken. However, the direction of the electric field may change abruptly at the surface due to the change in charge distribution.

How does the continuity of an electric field affect the behavior of electric charges in a sphere?

The continuity of an electric field determines the force experienced by any electric charge within the sphere. If the field lines are continuous and unbroken, the charges will experience a uniform force. However, any breaks or disruptions in the field lines can result in varying forces on different charges within the sphere.