1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about continuous function

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f is a continuous mapping of a metric space X into a metric space Y, Let E be any subset of X. How to show, by an example, that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) ([tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is the closure of E) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] ? And is there something wrong with my attempt below?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If E is compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] = E, f(E) is compact, [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] = f(E). Hence, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex])= [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
    If E is not compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is closed and hence is compact, if E is bounded in R^{k}. f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is compact and hence [tex]\overline{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]).
    since f(E) [tex]\subset{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] , [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] [tex]\subset{\overline{f(\oveline{\overline{E}})}} [/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]). It is also true that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) [tex]\subset{\overline{f(E)}}[/tex]. Hence f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) = [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
    In both cases, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is not a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]

I've no idea of other kind of function that is continuous and with E otherwise defined.
    Any hint would be greatly appreciated:)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? The problem was to show that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] and you have given two examples where that is NOT true. What's "wrong with that" is that you haven't answered the question!

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. You want an example. There are perfectly fine examples from R->R. You don't need anything exotic. Can you find one? Hint, think about what happens if f has a horizontal asymptote.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    to HallsofIvy,
    I gave those two examples because I could not find a disired example :(

to Dick,
    O I think I get it now...Let E=[1,[tex]\infty[/tex]), f(x)=1/x and everything is done.....it is strange that I didn't get it...

Thanks a lot to all :)

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not too strange. You were only thinking of bounded sets. This is called "thinking in the box". You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?