1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology on a set ##X## (find interior, closure and boundary of sets)

1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##X## be a nonempty set and let ##x_0 \in X##.

(a) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \in U\} \cup \{\emptyset\}## is a topology on ##X##.
    (b) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \not \in U\} \cup \{X\}## is a topology on ##X##.

Describe the interior, the closure and the boundary of the subsets of ##X## with respect to each of these two topologies.

The attempt at a solution.

(a) Let ##A \subset X##. Suppose ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open so ##A=A^{\circ}##. Now suppose ##x_0 \not \in A##. Then, for any ##S \subset A##, ##x \not \in S## so ##A## doesn't contain open sets appart from ##\emptyset##; from here one deduces ##A^{\circ}=\emptyset##.

If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is closed, so ##A=\overline{A}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open and note that for any ##F## such that ##A \subset F##, ##x_0 \in F##, this means there isn't any closed set containing ##A## appart from ##X##, so ##\overline{A}=X##.

(b) If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is open, so ##A=A^{\circ}##. If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##x \in A^{\circ}## iff there is ##U## open such that ##x \in U \subset A##. As ##x_0 \not \in U##, it is easy to see that ##A^{\circ}=A \setminus \{x_0\}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, A is closed so ##\overline{A}=A##. If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then, the smallest closed set containing ##A## is ##A \cup \{x_0\}## so ##\overline{A}=A \cup \{x_0\}##.

I can describe the boundary of ##A## in (a) and (b) using the identity ##∂A=\overline{A} \setminus A^{\circ}## but I wanted to know if what I did up to now is correct.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you thinking that "If U is open then it cannot be closed"? That is NOT in general true. There exist topologies in which there exist sets that are both open and closed and, indeed, a topology in which all sets are both open and closed.

4. Aug 13, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see anything wrong, but I agree with Halls that your explanation of why ##\overline A=X## in part (a) sounds a little bit like "since it it's open, it can't be closed". So you may want to clarify that if F≠X, then F isn't closed because its complement isn't open.

5. Aug 13, 2014 #4
    I know that there exist clopen sets so I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I would like to know if now it is well justified: suppose ##F \neq X##, since ##x_0 \not \in F^c##, then ##F^c## is not open, which implies ##{F^c}^c=F## can't be closed.

6. Aug 13, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted