Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    As almost everybody knows, DCQE experiment only shows interference after the data analysis, never in the first instance, regardless of future events for idler photons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

So, my question is, why you cannot see interference with this simple and simetric modified experiment, where there is not which way information?

xBbMm.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2
    What is that triangle with an on/off switch? And what is the switch?

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3
    Nothing, the picture is not mine. I think the original autor wanted to use this experiment for communication, that is not allowed.
    As far as my question goes you can ignore that switch.

5. Apr 12, 2017 #4
    This information still does exist (it is not "erased"). The red and blue rays coming at D4 detector have different momentum coming at different angles. Then this information is absorbed into the detector. We cannot get it, but it still is present first in the detector micro-state and then in the environment.

Upd: and you can see that this is not the case in the original DCQE experiment where two light beams are perfectly aligned by a system of mirrors.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Apr 12, 2017 #5
    BTW, I am not sure that talking here in terms of "which way" or "information erasure" makes much sense. That is, if I write formulas, I can more or less see how this particular configuration may fail to produce interference pattern, but I am not comfortable to discuss this system in terms of "information", "which way" etc (may be somebody else is? ) and my explanations in these terms may be wrong.

7. Apr 12, 2017 #6

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is your question: "Why is there no interference pattern on the top side, without considering coincidence detection?"

8. Apr 12, 2017 #7

zonde

Gold Member

I suppose you ask about interference in coincidences judging by first sentence in your post.
    Then let me ask, why do you think you cannot see interference? Because I think you can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted