Question about derivatives of complex fields

In summary: complex...dynamical systems are studied by reducing them to a simpler form, and then solving the simpler form.
Chronum
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.07188.pdf

Equation 5 in this paper states that
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i} = 2Re\left\lbrace\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right\rbrace$$

Here, [itex]p_i[/itex] stands for the [itex]i[/itex]'th element of a vector of 'design parameters' [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex]. These design parameters are variables that we directly control.

Just after that equation, the paper states that the derivative of [itex]x[/itex], involves that 2*Re part because [itex]x[/itex] is complex. [itex]x[/itex] is a vector of complex E and H fields.

Now, my question is why is this? Why is the derivative of complex E and H fields, with respect to a certain parameter [itex]p_i[/itex] cause that extra factor of 2 in the front, and why do we only consider the real part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronum said:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.07188.pdf

Equation 5 in this paper states that
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i} = 2Re\left\lbrace\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right\rbrace$$

Here, [itex]p_i[/itex] stands for the [itex]i[/itex]'th element of a vector of 'design parameters' [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex]. These design parameters are variables that we directly control.

Just after that equation, the paper states that the derivative of [itex]x[/itex], involves that 2*Re part because [itex]x[/itex] is complex. [itex]x[/itex] is a vector of complex E and H fields.

Now, my question is why is this? Why is the derivative of complex E and H fields, with respect to a certain parameter [itex]p_i[/itex] cause that extra factor of 2 in the front, and why do we only consider the real part?
There are a couple of things to unpack here. The first is the complex chain rule. If [itex]x(p_i),p_i\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] and [itex]F(x)[/itex] is likewise a complex-valued function, then
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^*}\frac{\partial x^*}{\partial p_i}[/tex] Next, suppose we have some complex-valued function [itex]z(t)=a(t)+ib(t)[/itex], where [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then
[tex]\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^*=\left(\frac{da}{dt}+i\frac{db}{dt}\right)^*=\frac{da}{dt}-i\frac{db}{dt}=\frac{dz^*}{dt}[/tex] and (if [itex]z[/itex] has a well-defined inverse)
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt^*}=\left(\frac{dt^*}{dz}\right)^{-1}=\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dz}\right)^*\right)^{-1}=\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dz}\right)^{-1}\right)^*=\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^*[/tex] Furthermore, [itex]z+z^*=(a+ib)+(a-ib)=2a=2\text{Re}(z)[/itex]
Putting all of this together,
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\right)^*\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)^*=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)^*=2\text{Re}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)[/tex] It's not the most rigorous treatment of the problem, but it should be more than enough to give you an idea of why this statement might be true.

Daniel Gallimore said:
There are a couple of things to unpack here. The first is the complex chain rule. If [itex]x(p_i),p_i\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] and [itex]F(x)[/itex] is likewise a complex-valued function, then
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^*}\frac{\partial x^*}{\partial p_i}[/tex] Next, suppose we have some complex-valued function [itex]z(t)=a(t)+ib(t)[/itex], where [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then
[tex]\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^*=\left(\frac{da}{dt}+i\frac{db}{dt}\right)^*=\frac{da}{dt}-i\frac{db}{dt}=\frac{dz^*}{dt}[/tex] and (if [itex]z[/itex] has a well-defined inverse)
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt^*}=\left(\frac{dt^*}{dz}\right)^{-1}=\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dz}\right)^*\right)^{-1}=\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dz}\right)^{-1}\right)^*=\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^*[/tex] Furthermore, [itex]z+z^*=(a+ib)+(a-ib)=2a=2\text{Re}(z)[/itex]
Putting all of this together,
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\right)^*\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)^*=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)^*=2\text{Re}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial p_i}\right)[/tex] It's not the most rigorous treatment of the problem, but it should be more than enough to give you an idea of why this statement might be true.

This is in fact the same rule that the paper author mentioned (I emailed the first author). And then told me to look at Wirtinger derivatives. There are a few assumptions here, but those hold true in this case, and this step has since proceeded to make sense. Many thanks!

1. What is a derivative of a complex field?

A derivative of a complex field is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change or slope of a complex-valued function. It is similar to the derivative of a real-valued function, but accounts for the complex nature of the function.

2. How is the derivative of a complex field calculated?

The derivative of a complex field is calculated using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary components of the complex function. These equations can be used to find the derivative at any point in the complex plane.

3. What is the importance of derivatives in complex analysis?

Derivatives play a crucial role in complex analysis as they allow us to analyze the behavior of complex functions, such as finding critical points, inflection points, and determining the direction of the function's change. They also help us understand the geometric properties of complex functions.

4. Can complex fields have higher order derivatives?

Yes, complex fields can have higher order derivatives, just like real-valued functions. These higher order derivatives represent the rate of change of the derivative itself and can be calculated using the same methods as the first derivative.

5. What are some real-world applications of derivatives of complex fields?

Derivatives of complex fields have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids, in electromagnetic theory to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and in signal processing to analyze complex signals. They are also used in economics and finance to model and predict market trends.