Question about differences in speeds vs velocities.

• Thread starter Christie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two objects with different accelerations and their velocities at two different times. The question is how to rank the differences in speed and velocity at these times and whether they would be the same. The attempted solution considers the direction of the velocities and concludes that the velocity difference would be -10m/s, 5m/s. However, it is pointed out that "difference" is usually unsigned and the answer to this question may not be interesting. The meaning of "difference in their velocities" is unclear.
Christie

Homework Statement

Say we have two objects accelerating differently.
At time T1 object Ahas a velocity of -10 m/s, and at T2 it has a velocity of 3 m/s
At time T1 object B has a velocity of -5 m/s, and at T2 it has a velocity of 7 m/s/

If I am asked to rank both the difference in speed and the difference in their velocities at T1 and T2 from least to greatest, how would I do this. Would these rankings be the same?

Homework Equations

Difference= T1B-T1A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, for this problem I was mainly confused about direction.
The Difference for T1 in velocity is 5 m/s while for speed it is -5 m/s.
For T2 differences the velocity difference is 4 m/s while the speed difference is 4 m/s.
When I rank the velocity differences, I've been told that from least to greatest it would me -10m/s, 5 m/s.

The logic behind this was due to -5 speed having a negative direction.
However, I found this odd because even if -5m/s is in the say left direction it is still technically larger than 4 m/s. Can anyone clear this up? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
velocity is the speed+ direction, speed wise, a velocity of an object with -5m/s will have a greater speed than a speed of another object at 4m/s.

Christie said:
difference in their velocities
I am not sure what this means. "Difference" is usually unsigned, because it does not specify which is to be subtracted from which. E.g.:
Velocities +4, +5; difference 1
Velocities +5, +4; difference 1
Velocities +4, -5; difference 9

But that makes the answers to this question uninteresting.
Are you sure you have quoted it word-for-word?

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, measured in distance per unit time. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, measured in distance per unit time in a specific direction.

2. Can an object have different speeds and velocities at the same time?

Yes, an object can have different speeds and velocities at the same time because speed only considers the magnitude of the movement, while velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement.

3. How are speed and velocity related?

Speed and velocity are related in that they both involve the concept of rate of change. However, velocity also includes direction whereas speed does not.

4. Why is velocity considered a vector quantity?

Velocity is considered a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction. This means that the value of velocity is dependent on both the speed and direction of an object's movement.

5. Can an object have a velocity of 0 and still be moving?

Yes, an object can have a velocity of 0 and still be moving because velocity takes into account the direction of movement. If an object is moving in a circular path, it may have a velocity of 0 at a certain point in time, but it is still moving because its direction is constantly changing.