Question About Diffraction Orders

• Thread starter saybrook1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary: So when I get m I can determine the number of maxima by multiplying by m.In summary, the student calculates the order from the light wavelength and slit separation, but does not understand that this number tells them the total number of maxima.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Light is normally incident on a double slit system. I'm asked to calculate the number of "orders(maxima)" visible on a screen placed in front of the slits. The light wavelength and slit separation are given. I understand that I can calculate the "order" from m=d/λ but does this number tell me the total maxima? Or am I to understand that there is a central maximum at m= 0 and then maxima at every ±m? For instance I got m=8.4; Does that mean I have 17 visible maxima or 8?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

dsinθ=mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated m but I don't quite understand it's meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two things that need to be considered here, the grating equation which you quote gives the angular distribution of the maxima from a single slit. Since you have a pair of slits, there is more going on here. The diffraction from a single slit gives an intensity [itex] \approx sinc^2()[/itex] envelop, the addition of the second slit modulated the intensity within this envelop.

http://web.mit.edu/viz/EM/visualizations/coursenotes/modules/guide14.pdf

Dr Transport said:
There are two things that need to be considered here, the grating equation which you quote gives the angular distribution of the maxima from a single slit. Since you have a pair of slits, there is more going on here. The diffraction from a single slit gives an intensity [itex] \approx sinc^2()[/itex] envelop, the addition of the second slit modulated the intensity within this envelop.

http://web.mit.edu/viz/EM/visualizations/coursenotes/modules/guide14.pdf
Okay, thanks for the input, I'm going off of Halliday and Resnick Ch 36.7. He says that the d is the spacing between the slits and I assume that if it's far enough away, dsinϑ=mλ will be sufficient to determine maxima for a double slit setup - I believe that the single slit analogue to this equation, asinϑ=mλ, where a is the slit width, gives orders m which are minima.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, encounters an obstacle or passes through a narrow opening. This causes the wave to bend and spread out, creating a pattern of light or sound waves.

2. What are diffraction orders?

Diffraction orders refer to the different directions that the diffracted waves travel in. These orders are labeled by integers, with the zeroth order being the undeviated incident wave and the first order being the first wave deviated from the incident wave.

3. How are diffraction orders calculated?

Diffraction orders can be calculated using the diffraction grating equation, which takes into account the wavelength of the incident wave, the distance between the diffracting element (such as a grating), and the angle at which the diffracted wave is measured.

4. What is the significance of diffraction orders in science?

Diffraction orders are important in many areas of science, particularly in optics and spectroscopy. They allow us to analyze and understand the properties of light, such as its wavelength and intensity, and can also be used to determine the atomic structure of materials.

5. How can diffraction orders be used in practical applications?

Diffraction orders have a wide range of practical applications, including in optical instruments such as spectrometers and telescopes. They are also used in the manufacturing of diffraction gratings, which are used in many devices such as DVD players and barcode scanners.