Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about formula for natural log

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Any information on the following formula for natural logarithm (I looked in wikipedia and Mathworld but didn't see it). It came from another equation I was working on a bit ago, and I was curious about it as I didn't recall seeing it before (which doesn't mean I haven't), although it reminded me of some equations for e.

[tex] \ln{x} =\lim_{n\to\infty} \left[ \left (1- \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{n}}} \right) \times n \right ] [/tex]
    For better visibility (bottom of the fraction is the nth root of x):
    [tex]\ln{x} =\lim_{n\to\infty} \left[ \left (1- \frac{1}{ \sqrt[n]{x}} \right) \times n \right ] [/tex]

Or yet another form:

[tex] \ln{x} =\lim_{n\to\infty} \left[ \left (1- x^{- \frac{1}{n}} \right) \times n \right ] [/tex]
    And I might have answered my own question with this last one... sheesh... anyways, still would like to read about it.
    [tex] \ln{x} =\lim_{n\to\infty} \left[n- n\times x^{- \frac{1}{n}} \right ] [/tex]

Makes the derivative readily apparent, ehh? :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It follows from
    [tex] e^x =\lim_{n\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n [/tex]

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I realized that post-post, right after I reformulated it a last time and powered down the computer. Ended up writing it out on paper and deriving this particular formula for [itex]e^x[/itex]:

[tex] x = \lim_{n\to\infty} \left(1- \frac{\ln{x}}{n} \right )^{-n} [/tex]
    which is basically the following reformulated~~~
    [tex] e^x = \lim_{n\to\infty} \left(1- \frac{x}{n} \right )^{-n} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook