Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about gravity on the large scale.

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    I was thinking about olbers paradox and how I could apply it to gravity.
    We assume that their are an infinite amount of planets and that they are all about
    the same mass or we will just pick a minimum mass. And we assume they are evenly distributed. So the gravitational field falls off as 1/r^2 but the amount of planets grows
    as r^2. So If there were an infinite amount of planets or stars or whatever, we would experience an infinite pull, but this would be in all directions so it might cancel.
    i guess this is similar to gauss's law. But how would we know where the center is or how would we balance these infinities?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

We are all in the center of our observable universe with a finite age - and as space looks nearly the same in all directions (if you are at rest with respect to the CMB), you don't get a significant attraction. There are some attracting things if you have a closer look.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    How would you know you at rest compared to CMB
    Would you tell by measuring the frequency.

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You measure the temperature (which is related to the total intensity) and look for a dipole moment: If the CMB is hotter in direction X and colder at the opposite side, you are moving towards X (relative to the CMB).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook