Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about heat conduction equation.

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    I know how to solve a 1-D heat conduction equation when both ends are kept at 0 temperature(using separation of variables and Fourier series.). In the notes, the prof asked us to solve for one end kept at zero and the other insulated (at x=L) and referred to a non-existent chapter in our textbook for the solution. Can someone give me a few pointers on how to proceed? I don't know what to equate U(L,t) to, and that kinda gets u stuck...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, firstly, post the equation you're trying to solve!
  4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry, I (falsely) assumed everyone would recognize the equation i had in mind. The equation is

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t} = a^2 \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

With U(0,t)=0. U(L,t)= ??
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. Feb 27, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Firstly, that equation has no function in it! Secondly, are you sure that's the correct expression? I thought the heat equation looked like [tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=a^2\frac{\partial ^2U}{\partial x^2}[/tex] in one dimension?

Anyway, I think the condition that says that at x=L the rod is insulated, means that the flux at x=L is zero; i.e.[tex]\left. \frac{\partial U}{\partial x}\right|_{x=L}=0[/tex]
  6. Feb 27, 2007 #5
    yes, i made those horrible typos sorry again (been up very early having nothing to do but solve). I will try solving it, i think it should be easy. Thanks for the input.
  7. Feb 27, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cristo is right. Saying that one end, x= 0, is held at 0 means, of course, U(0,t)= 0. Saying that the other end, x=L, means that
    [tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}(L, u)= 0[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. Feb 27, 2007 #7
    Thanks HallsofIvy. I already solved it, and it was easy as expected (i just didn't know the mathematical interpretation of the word 'insulated' in that context).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?