Question about Helium at absolute zero

In summary, at absolute zero, the atoms of liquid helium have a minimum vibration that prevents it from freezing. However, under enough pressure, liquid helium can become a solid. The pressure does not eliminate the minimum vibration, but it does reduce it. Liquid helium II, already a Bose-Einstein condensate, can solidify under high pressures. The state of a substance at absolute zero is determined by its minimal entropy, rather than vibration. This is seen in other substances, such as metals, where at low densities they form a solid structure.
kjamha
At absolute zero, I understand that atoms have a minimum vibration (the atoms are not completely still). Because of this minimal vibration, He atoms can not freeze at absolute zero. But if enough pressure is applied, the liquid then becomes a solid. Does the pressure eliminate or reduce the minimum vibration? Is solid He colder than absolute zero?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Liquid helium is not at absolute zero.
Nothing is... it is the empirical limit of zero volume on a T-V graph.
Solids still have vibration.
Define "enough" pressure - how much would be "enough" to solidify liquid helium?
Bear in mind that liquid helium II is already a Bose-Einstein condensate.

I think you need to bear in mind that simple models tend to break down in extreme situations.

Simon Bridge said:
Liquid helium is not at absolute zero.
Nothing is...

Right. I should have said "theoretically speaking" regarding helium at absolute zero.

Simon Bridge said:
Solids still have vibration.

do you mean molecules/atoms?

Also, if helium were under adequate pressure, I assumed that it could exist as a solid and I was wondering about the atoms minimum vibration under these conditions. Is the assumption wrong?

kjamha said:
Right. I should have said "theoretically speaking" regarding helium at absolute zero.
Perhaps you should have said - "a perfect ideal gas, in the classical regime, at absolute zero" rather than specifying "helium". But all you've done is render the question meaningless as that would mean the state of zero volume.

Liquid helium 3 and 4 does solidify under high pressures. 25-30Atmospheres.
You can go look up the properties.

Simon Bridge said:
Perhaps you should have said - "a perfect ideal gas, in the classical regime, at absolute zero" rather than specifying "helium".

I am referring specifically to helium. Helium is the one exception that will not freeze at absolute zero.
The minimum amount of vibration of helium at absolute zero will not let helium turn into a solid (freeze), unless under a great amount of pressure.

Simon Bridge said:
Liquid helium 3 and 4 does solidify under high pressures. 25-30Atmospheres.
You can go look up the properties.

I am not interested in how much pressure is required to squeeze helium into a solid. Instead, I wanted to know if this pressure reduces the amount of vibration for the helium.

The state of a substance at (or near) absolute zero is not so much a question of vibrations but of minimal entropy. In superfluid He, the atoms form a quantum condensate, however at higher pressures a solid is energetically favoured.
Analogous effects occur in metals, even at zero temperature: At normal metallic densities, the electrons in a metal behave like a gas of electrons, while at very low densities, they form a solid structure, the so-called Wigner lattice.

1. What happens to helium at absolute zero?

At absolute zero (-273.15°C or 0 Kelvin), helium becomes a superfluid, meaning it has zero viscosity and can flow without any resistance. It also exhibits other unique properties such as being able to climb up and out of containers and having no boiling point.

2. Why is helium a superfluid at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, helium atoms have very little energy and can pack very closely together, forming a Bose-Einstein condensate. This allows them to move without any friction or resistance, making it a superfluid.

3. Can helium freeze at absolute zero?

No, helium cannot freeze at absolute zero because all atoms would have to stop moving completely, which is not possible according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. However, it can become a superfluid with similar properties to a solid.

4. What is the importance of studying helium at absolute zero?

Studying helium at absolute zero helps scientists better understand the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures. It also has practical applications in fields such as superconductivity and quantum computing.

5. Is it possible to reach absolute zero in a laboratory?

No, it is not possible to reach absolute zero in a laboratory as it is the theoretical lowest temperature possible. However, scientists have been able to reach temperatures very close to absolute zero using techniques such as laser cooling and magnetic fields.