Question about humidity and plastic and rubber

In summary, maintaining a low humidity environment can help preserve electronic devices from oxidation, but it may also cause plastic and rubber materials to become brittle. It is recommended to protect these materials from UV light and ozone.
gamer87
TL;DR Summary
question
Is it possible to maintain an environment with low humidity to preserve electronic devices from oxidation without this low humidity drying out plastic and rubber from electronic devices and DVD discs that are plastic and in that environment? in my room I have two digital hygrometers and an air dehumidifier plus 300 with q compressor that stays on all day because the humidity goes up to 70%, while in the dehumidifier the humidity is at 40% in the hygrometers the measurement is at 50% so I set the dehumidifier to 40

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sure, because plastic and rubber don't "dry out".

You can also run the entire device under oil.

they are brittle and brittle so i said they dry but in my situation does this occur?

gamer87 said:
they are brittle and brittle so i said they dry but in my situation does this occur?
Google tells me that plastic is attacked by UV light and rubber by ozone.

This is a repeat of the OP's earlier question. The answer has not changed. Thread closed.

1. How does humidity affect plastic and rubber?

Humidity can cause plastic and rubber to become soft and pliable, as the water molecules in the air can be absorbed by the materials. This can also lead to warping and distortion of the shape of the plastic or rubber object.

2. Can humidity cause damage to plastic and rubber?

Yes, high humidity levels can cause plastic and rubber to degrade over time. This is because the moisture in the air can react with the materials and cause them to break down, resulting in cracks, discoloration, and a decrease in strength and durability.

3. Is there a specific level of humidity that is harmful to plastic and rubber?

There is no specific level of humidity that is universally harmful to all types of plastic and rubber. However, generally speaking, high humidity levels above 60% can start to have a negative impact on these materials.

4. How can I protect plastic and rubber from humidity?

One way to protect plastic and rubber from humidity is to store them in a cool, dry place with low humidity levels. You can also use moisture-absorbing materials, such as silica gel packets, to help absorb excess moisture in the air.

5. Can humidity affect the performance of plastic and rubber products?

Yes, humidity can affect the performance of plastic and rubber products in several ways. It can alter the physical properties of the materials, such as their flexibility and strength, and also impact their electrical and thermal conductivity. This can ultimately affect the overall performance and lifespan of the products.