1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about insulation and heat transfer

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    Insulation as I know it, prevents heat transfer, and that's how a beverage cooler works to keep things cold right?

I was wondering if it worked the same way in the opposite situation: do coolers keep things from freezing under freezing conditions?

To be honest, I'm actually wondering if storing my laptop in a cooler inside my car during the freezing midwestern winter would actually protect my laptop from damage :)

Thanks for any answers you guys can provide!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    Yes. Thermos is an example.
    However I doubt your idea will work well.

4. Jul 10, 2010 #3
    Yes, at least for awhile. Basically opposite here means it not only keeps things cold, but also helps keep things hot. Hot in this case is just warm enough to prevent freezing. Don't expect it to work for too long.

I wouldn't want to trust it for very long. Within a few hours it will freeze anyway. You can get one of the 12 volt Cooler/Warmer and switch it to warm. Then make sure it doesn't drain your battery. Maybe use a battery minder and plug your car in.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook