Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about interacting fields

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    I had some questions about the equations that David Tong derives in his lecture notes here:
    http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/three.pdf

He gets defines the time evolution operator according to equations 3.20 and 3.23 as
    U(t, t[itex]_{0}[/itex]) = T*exp(-i* [itex]\int[/itex][H[itex]_{I}[/itex](t') * dt']) = 1 - i*[itex]\int[/itex][dt' * H[itex]_{I}[/itex](t')] + ...

According to eq 3.26, in the limit as t approaches +/- infinity, U is the same as the S-matrix:

lim <f|U(t[itex]_{+}[/itex], t[itex]_{-}[/itex])|i> = <f|S|i>

but according to eq3.25, the Hamiltonian for the Yukawa theory is:
    H[itex]_{I}[/itex] = g * [itex]\int[/itex][d[itex]^{3}[/itex]x * [itex]\psi^{dagger}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] [itex]\varphi[/itex]]

But according to the series expansion formula for U above, and plugging in the Hamiltonian into it, the series expansion for U should be:

U(t, t[itex]_{O}[/itex]) = 1 - i*[itex]\int[/itex][d[itex]^{4}[/itex]x * g*[itex]\psi^{dagger}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] [itex]\varphi[/itex]] + ...

I see that the leading term in g just has the [itex]\psi^{dagger}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] [itex]\varphi[/itex] in it. But in eq 3.46, he calculates <f| S-1| i>, which is SECOND order in g^2. Now it contains two terms each of [itex]\psi^{dagger}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] [itex]\varphi[/itex]

My question is, when he says 'S-1', does he mean "S without the 1st order term" ? Or do he mean "S without the number '1' "? If the former, that would make sense. But the latter makes no sense at all

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2
    I figured it out. We have the -1 because it corresponds to when |i> = |f>, which gives <i|f>=1, which we want to exclude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook