Question about magnetic field of a current

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total magnetic field at point A, which is located at the center of a semicircle formed by bending a wire. The homework equations and the attempt at a solution involve calculating the contributions of the semicircle and the two wires to the total magnetic field. The solution to part A involves using the "straight wire" formula, which is different from the formula used for the semicircle, to calculate the contribution of the wires. The conversation concludes with a clarification about the difference between the two formulas and how they apply to the given situation.
homomorphism

Homework Statement

a long hairpin is formed by bending a piece of wire. if the wire carries a current [tex]i = 1.15 A[/tex].

the figure looks like this:

[tex]\subset[/tex]

point a is at the center of the semicircle part (so that there is a radius r from a to the outside of teh semicircle. i flows counterclockwise. the point b is in the middle of the two parallel lines.

a) what are teh magnitude and direction of [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] at point a?
b) at point b, very far from a?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{B}_{wire}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{2d\pi}[/tex]

where d = r in this case.

[tex]\vec{B}_{semicircle}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4d}[/tex]

[tex]\oint{\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{s}=\mu_{0}i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to add up the contributions of the semicircle, and the two wires to get the total magnetic field at a. However, when i looked at teh solution to part a, they say that each wire contributes [tex]\frac{1}{2}\vec{B}_{wire}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4d\pi}[/tex]. I understand teh contribution of the semicircle. how come the total contribution the wires is not [tex]2\vec{B}_{wire}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{d\pi}[/tex] ?? This seems to be the magnetic field contribution from both wires for part b) though. does this have to do with how they enclose the wires in an amperian loop?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "straight wire" formula is for a wire that extends for a long distance in both directions from the given point. Compare this description to the situation at point A.

ah i understand now. thank you

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or a moving electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a current?

A magnetic field is created by a current when charged particles move through a conductor. The moving particles generate a circular magnetic field around the conductor, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the current flow.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and the current?

The strength of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the current. This means that the stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be. The relationship between the two is described by the Biot-Savart law.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current flows in a straight line, the magnetic field will be circular around the conductor. If the current flows in a loop, the magnetic field will be more complex, with multiple lines of force.

5. Can the magnetic field of a current be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field of a current can be controlled by changing the strength or direction of the current. Additionally, the shape and placement of the conductor can also affect the resulting magnetic field. This is what makes electromagnets and electric motors possible.