Question about magnitude positive y direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and magnitude of a resultant vector in a specific coordinate system, as well as the relationship between angle and displacement on a conductor. The speaker also expresses confusion about the proper use of "x" and "y" in the context.
davidpotter
Hello everybody.

If I choose the positive y direction to be vertically downwards, and the positive x direction to be to the right, and take the cross product y cross x, then the direction of the resultant is out of the page (if I draw x and y as lines on paper). The magnitude is yx sin(φ), where φ is the angle between them. I do understand that, but it's been put in a context where I can't find φ. An infinite wire carrying current I in the positive y direction generates a field at P, which is a distance a along the x axis. I want to cross y, which is infinite, with x, which is finite but changing. x is the position vector of point P, relative to the infinite wire. I don't know what to use as the angle between them. Is φ=90°? Is sinφ x/(x2+y2)1/2, by Pythagoras theorem and the geometry of the situation, or should that be a y on the numerator? My textbook explains this poorly, and I think it's still more maths than physics, but I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
Thank's a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both angle and displacement depend on the point on the conductor (and depending on what you want to calculate, you probably want to use an integral), but if you calculate the cross-product, you'll see that those effects cancel.

What do you want to do?

You seem to be using "x" and "y" in two different ways here. "If I choose the positive y direction to be vertically downwards, and the positive x direction to be to the right, and take the cross product y cross x". If you mean "x" to indicate the x-axis and "y" to indicate the y-axis then the angle between x and y is [itex]\pi/2[/itex] radians.

1. What does "magnitude positive y direction" mean?

"Magnitude positive y direction" refers to the size or amount of movement in the positive y-axis direction. In other words, it describes how far an object has moved in the upward direction from its starting point.

2. How is the magnitude of the positive y direction calculated?

The magnitude of the positive y direction is calculated by taking the absolute value of the distance traveled in the upward direction. This means that the direction of the movement is not taken into account, only the distance traveled.

3. What is the difference between magnitude positive y direction and magnitude negative y direction?

The only difference between magnitude positive y direction and magnitude negative y direction is the direction of movement. Magnitude positive y direction refers to movement in the upward direction, while magnitude negative y direction refers to movement in the downward direction. Both are calculated in the same way.

4. How is magnitude positive y direction used in physics?

Magnitude positive y direction is used in physics to describe the displacement or change in position of an object in the upward direction. It is also used in calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in the y-axis.

5. Can the magnitude of the positive y direction be negative?

No, the magnitude of the positive y direction cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the distance traveled in the upward direction. However, the displacement or change in position in the y-axis can be negative if the object moves in the downward direction.