Question about mathematic courses I need

However, it is not fundamental. In contrast, the Newtonian approach is fundamental but it is not enough in general. The Hamiltonian approach is also used in QM but it is not as common as the Lagrangian approach. Textbooks that cover these approaches in the context of physics include "Mechanics" by Landau and Lifshitz and "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein.
billyx3
I've read through a lot of different threads on the topic of prerequisite knowledge required to take a course in quantum physics and I was wondering about what mathematics I should take (I want to order the textbooks online)

Ive done calculus and have finished a college physics textbook
Now I want to know what is next
I've seen many different lists on prerequisites for quantum physics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, calculus II, calculus III and so on
is there a course that covers both multivariable and vector calculus or is this better taken separately?
My main question is, are all of these courses separate or should i get calculus II and calculus III textbooks and expect for those courses to cover multivariable calculus and vector calculus in depth? sorry for my ignorance on this topic

and I know this is the math forum but I'd like to squeeze in one last question
i saw this "Classical dynamics:Newton,Lagrange and expecially Hamilton approaches"
for required courses needed for quantum physics, so I assume Newton approach wouldn't have been covered in my college physics textbook and is more specific? And does anybody know of a textbook that would teach me this approach? Every search I type in with "Newton" in it just gives me a biography of his life in textbooks.com search engine
and also I can not seem to find any textbooks anywhere for hamilton approaches to physics but I do think I've found one for lagrange

thanks for any replies
any help is greatly appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
billyx3 said:
I've read through a lot of different threads on the topic of prerequisite knowledge required to take a course in quantum physics and I was wondering about what mathematics I should take (I want to order the textbooks online)
Functional Analysis or Operators in Hilbert Spaces
Ive done calculus and have finished a college physics textbook
Now I want to know what is next
I've seen many different lists on prerequisites for quantum physics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, calculus II, calculus III and so on
is there a course that covers both multivariable and vector calculus or is this better taken separately?
This depends on what is hidden behind vector calculus. It could be multivariable calculus or differential geometry, which requires multivariate calculus.
My main question is, are all of these courses separate or should i get calculus II and calculus III textbooks and expect for those courses to cover multivariable calculus and vector calculus in depth? sorry for my ignorance on this topic
There is no normed content for the branches you listed. It depends on who teaches it how. In general you should have a good basis in calculus: real, complex, multivariate, before you go ahead.
and I know this is the math forum but I'd like to squeeze in one last question
i saw this "Classical dynamics:Newton,Lagrange and expecially Hamilton approaches"
for required courses needed for quantum physics, so I assume Newton approach wouldn't have been covered in my college physics textbook and is more specific? And does anybody know of a textbook that would teach me this approach? Every search I type in with "Newton" in it just gives me a biography of his life in textbooks.com search engine
and also I can not seem to find any textbooks anywhere for hamilton approaches to physics but I do think I've found one for lagrange

thanks for any replies
any help is greatly appreciated
The Lagrange calculus or calculus of variations is needed in QM but in general, too.

1. What are the basic math courses I need to take as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. The basic math courses you will need to take are algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. These courses will provide you with the necessary skills to understand and apply mathematical principles to your scientific research.

2. Do I need to take advanced math courses as a scientist?

It is highly recommended to take advanced math courses as a scientist. These courses include linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These courses will enhance your analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential for conducting scientific research.

3. Are there specific math courses I should take based on my field of science?

Yes, different fields of science may require specific math courses. For example, if you are in the field of physics, you may need to take courses in vector calculus and differential equations. If you are in the field of biology, you may need to take courses in statistics and probability. It is best to check with your academic advisor or professors to determine which courses are most relevant to your field.

4. Can I substitute math courses with computer programming courses?

In some cases, computer programming courses may be substituted for certain math courses. However, it is important to note that mathematics is the language of science and having a strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding and conducting research. It is best to consult with your academic advisor before making any substitutions.

5. Are there any online resources or tutorials available to help me with math courses?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you with math courses. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities offer free tutoring services for math courses. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates or seek help from your professor during office hours.