Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about modeling compounds ie: Play Doh

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    I'm making something I can rest a camera on, face down, that needs to hold it in the same position upon being taken out and put back in. The camera has a "streamline" type design so I've decided to use some sort of molding that will fit its contours. I am at a loss as far as knowing what compound should be used for this.

In short, I'm looking for a compound with the consistency of clay that isn't too sticky and will harden in less than a day without changing shape significantly, and stay that way for at least a year.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you could try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpey" [Broken], if you have access to an oven. It's great stuff, easy to work with, plus it comes in all sorts of colors.

It's available at arts and crafts stores.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    hey you're about to have 1000 posts

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4
    I'm not too sure about putting that stuff in my oven, sounds unhealthy

6. Feb 21, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I am! Too bad posts in GD don't count, I'd be way over 1000 by now.

7. Feb 21, 2010 #6
  8. Feb 21, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice :smile:.

Well Capt., if you're concerned about toxicity, you can consult the company's web site.

http://www.sculpey.com/faq/safety" [Broken]

But if you still are skeptical there's an alternative that I've used in my lab, for when I need a "thingy" of a certain shape (wedge, shim, spacer...that sort of thing). I take a large piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it into what I need. I use a small hammer to densify it so it's not too flimsy. Of course it won't hold a lot of weight, but for a cheap, quick "thingy" it sometimes does the trick.

9. Feb 21, 2010 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to a hobby shop, they'll have whatever you need, but it it remains soft, you'll have to do a bit of reshaping everytime you replace the camera, obviously.

10. Feb 23, 2010 #9
    aluminum foil, should have thought of it myself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook