Question about motion of rod after collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the moment of inertia of a uniform thin rod and a point mass colliding with the rod. The summary includes a derivation of the moment of inertia, a description of the subsequent motion of the rod, and the derivation of the speed, direction, and angular speed of the centre of mass after the collision. It also includes the calculation of the position on the rod that is stationary after the collision and the use of the parallel axis theorem to find the combined moment of inertia about the system center of mass.
phalanx123
Hi I am kind of stuck on this question.:frown:

Show that the moment of inertia of a uniform thin rod of mass M and length l about an axis perpendicular to the rod through its centre is
[tex]\frac{Ml^2}{12}[/tex]
What is the moment of inertia of the rod about a parallel axis a distance x from the centre?

The rod defined above lies at rest on a smooth horizontal table. A point
mass m = 1/2M moving at right angles to the rod with a speed v collides with one end of the rod, and sticks to it.
(a) Describe qualitatively, including diagrams, the subsequent motion of the
rod.

(b) Derive the speed and direction of motion of the centre of mass (of the
rod and mass combined), after the collision.

(c) Derive the angular speed of the combined rod and mass after the
collision.

(d) Find the position on the rod that is stationary immediately after the
collision. [

Ok here is my attempt to the solution:
I did my derivation of the moment of inertia no problem. and using the parallel axis theorem, the new moment of inertia is I=Mx^"+Io where Io is the moment of inertia through the centre of mass of the rod.

a) the centre of mass of the rod will move forward and the rod will also rotate about the new centre of mass which is a distance x away from the original i.e. at l/2

b)Using conservation of momentum
mv=(m+M)v1 which gives 1/2Mv=(3/2)Mv1
so v1=1/3v

Part C is where I am beginning to get stuck.

c) using conservation of energy and angular momentum

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}M)v^2=\frac{3}{2}M(\frac{1}{3}v)^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

this gives [tex]\frac{1}{6}Mv^2=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

from angular momentum
1/2Mv(l/2-x)=I*omega where x is the distance between th new and old centre of mass

from this Mv =(2*I*omega)/(l/2-x) and substitute this into the previous equation gives 1/6*(2*I*omega)v/(l/2-x)=1/2I*omega^2

this gives omega=2/3 v/(l/2-x)

d) substitute omega=2/3 v/(l/2-x)back into 1/2Mv(l/2-x)=I*omega gives
I=3/4M(l/2-x)^". this is the moment of inertia of rod and poin mass combined about the axis which passes through the new centre of mass

the moment of inertia Io of combined masses through the initial centre of mass is Io=Ml^2/12+1/2m(l/2)^2=Ml^2/12+Ml^2/16=7Ml^2/48

using parralel axis theorem Io=Mx^2+I
solving the quadratic equation gives x=(3+/-sqrt(3))l/18

I really don't know if I am on the right track or not:confused: , could somebody help me please. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phalanx123 said:
Part C is where I am beginning to get stuck.

c) using conservation of energy and angular momentum

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}M)v^2=\frac{3}{2}M(\frac{1}{3}v)^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

this gives [tex]\frac{1}{6}Mv^2=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

from angular momentum
1/2Mv(l/2-x)=I*omega where x is the distance between th new and old centre of mass

from this Mv =(2*I*omega)/(l/2-x) and substitute this into the previous equation gives 1/6*(2*I*omega)v/(l/2-x)=1/2I*omega^2

this gives omega=2/3 v/(l/2-x)
This collision is perfectly inelastic--energy is not conserved. But angular momentum is conserved. Hint: Where is the center of mass of the combined object? What is its moment of inertia about that point? What is the angular momentum about that point?

Doc Al said:
Hint: Where is the center of mass of the combined object? What is its moment of inertia about that point? What is the angular momentum about that point?

This is actually where I am stuck on. I don't really know how to calculate the centre of mass/moment of inertial of a ununiformed object. I am thinking of using integration. But that is for uniformed object isn't it? As for the moment of inertia. I think I can use the parallel axis theorem by first calculating the moment of inertia of the combined mass about the axis at l/2 (Ml^2/12+1/2m(l/2)^2=Ml^2/12+Ml^2/16=7Ml^2/48 is this right?) than by setting the distance between this point and the centre of mass to be X the moment of inertia at the CM is then I=2/3MX^2+7Ml^2/48. But I will have to introduce this variable X and further complictae the question.

Start by finding the centre of mass of the composite body. Then, find the moment of inertia of the body about this axis (as Doc Al suggests).

Last edited:
phalanx123 said:
This is actually where I am stuck on. I don't really know how to calculate the centre of mass/moment of inertial of a ununiformed object. I am thinking of using integration. But that is for uniformed object isn't it?
There's no need for integration. If you have two point masses, how would you find their center of mass? (For the purpose of calculating the center of mass of the system, you can replace the stick by an equivalent mass located at the stick's center of mass.)

As for the moment of inertia. I think I can use the parallel axis theorem by first calculating the moment of inertia of the combined mass about the axis at l/2 (Ml^2/12+1/2m(l/2)^2=Ml^2/12+Ml^2/16=7Ml^2/48 is this right?) than by setting the distance between this point and the centre of mass to be X the moment of inertia at the CM is then I=2/3MX^2+7Ml^2/48. But I will have to introduce this variable X and further complictae the question.
Not quite sure I follow what you are doing here. As I said earlier: Find the center of mass of the system, then find the moment of inertia of the system about that point. (You'll need the parallel axis theorem to find the stick's moment of inertia about the system center of mass.)

Ok I got it now. Thanks a lot ^_^

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a rod after a collision?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a rod after a collision is v = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and v1 are the mass and velocity of the first object, and m2 and v2 are the mass and velocity of the second object.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to the motion of a rod after a collision?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In the case of a rod after a collision, the momentum before the collision (m1v1 + m2v2) is equal to the momentum after the collision (m1v1' + m2v2'). This means that the total momentum is conserved, and the final velocity of the rod can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation.

3. What factors can affect the motion of a rod after a collision?

The motion of a rod after a collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, the angle of impact, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How do you determine the direction of the rod's motion after a collision?

The direction of the rod's motion after a collision can be determined by using the conservation of momentum equation. If the total momentum of the system before the collision is in a certain direction, the final momentum after the collision will also be in that direction.

5. Can you explain the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision in terms of the motion of a rod?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the final velocity of the rod will be different from the initial velocity, but the total energy of the system remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound, resulting in a decrease in the final velocity of the rod. In both cases, however, the conservation of momentum still applies to the motion of the rod after the collision.