1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about normalization of wavefunction

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how to set up integrals for normalization of sin([itex]\theta[/itex])e^(-i[itex]\phi[/itex])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    Can you give any more detail as to what you're doing? In general a normalized wave function would work along the following lines

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex](x)*[itex]\Psi[/itex](x)dx=1

or

[itex]\int[/itex]|[itex]\Psi[/itex](x)|2dx=1

with the limits of integration being from -[itex]\infty[/itex] to +[itex]\infty[/itex]

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    I know it needs to be switched to polar coordinates and your equation you posted is correct. I know that it is normalizable (1=int(psi^2dv) over all space, i just need a confirmation of the correct set up of the integral and the bounds. i've tried it several different ways with different bounds and I haven't gotten it to be one.

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4
    anyone?

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5

diazona

Homework Helper

You need to show what you've tried so that we can help you identify where you're going wrong. When you don't do that, many people will simply ignore your thread. See the FAQ.

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6
    Ok I've set up the integral like this:[itex]\oint[/itex]sin[itex]^{3}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]*dv with the bounds being 0 to 2pi for phi, and 0 to pi for theta. I left out r because it will make the integral go to infinity, but I'm still getting a pi in the answer. when I left out the phi part of the integral I got 4/3. what am I doing wrong?

8. Sep 18, 2011 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

For starters, how do you know you're doing something wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook