1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction normalisation for proton beam

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the normalization parameter A in the wavefunction ## \varPsi(x,t) = A e^{i(k\chi - \omega t)} ## for a beam of free protons travelling in the +x direction with kinetic energy 5 keV and a density of ##7.5 * 10^9 ## particles per meter beam length.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do I normalize the wavefunction of a beam of particles? If it was just a single particle I just multiply the wavefunction with it's conjugate, set the result to 1 and solve the equation for A. But for a beam of particles I have no idea even what physical rules apply there, I mean is the wavefunction of each proton affected in any way by the other particles in the beam, or is it purely independent?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In a beam like this, "the wavefunction of a single proton" is a problematic concept.
    The normalization with many particles works in the same way as with a single particle, but the result is not 1, but the (average) number of protons within the range of your integral.

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your answer! I also don't understand, how does the kinetic energy of the beam fit in with the normalization of the wavefunction? Because to me it seems now that I set ##\int_0^1 \! \varPsi (x,t)^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^1 \! A e^{i(k\chi - \omega t)} A e^{-i(k\chi - \omega t)} \, \mathrm{d}x = 7.5*10^9 \Leftrightarrow A^2 = 7.5 *10^9 ## and then I have found the A. Or am I doing something wrong?

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

There are units missing, but apart from that I would do the same.
    Are there other parts of the question where the energy is needed? Like finding k or ω?

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    Nope that's the whole question, nothing else is asked. The rest of the questions are completely independent. Out of curiosity can you elaborate a bit on the problematic concept of the wave function of a proton? What would be the rigorous quantum mechanical treatment for a beam of particles?

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Particles with an exact momentum would have to be spread out over all space (at least in the dimension we consider here) - but then you cannot normalize the wave function of a single particle properly. You need a wave packet with some momentum spread.
    If you consider systems with multiple fermions of the same type, the wave function has to swap its sign if you exchange fermions. That leads to the Pauli exclusion principle, but it also means your wave functions get more complicated. And I guess you would have to include some "begin" and "end" of the beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted