Question about nucleotides and phosphoric acid

• Thread starter physicisttobe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct terminology for the linkage between phosphoric acid and sugars. While the original sentence uses "ether bonds," it is suggested that "ester bonds" is the more accurate term. It is also noted that in the past, alkyl halides were referred to as "halide esters." Additionally, there is a discussion about the use of "linked to" versus "reacted with" when describing the bond between phosphoric acid and sugars.
physicisttobe
Misplaced Schoolwork Thread -- Moved to the Schoolwork forums
Hi everyone!

Is this sentence correct?

"Phosphoric acid is linked to the hydroxyl groups of the sugars via ether bonds"

I would say yes, but in the solutions this phrase is wrong and I'm a little bit confused. I think that's correct, isn't it?

Likes Nickjohny
Physics news on Phys.org
Technically they’re esters. An ester is any linkage that has been formed through a hydroxyl by loss of a water molecule. The most familiar example is carboxylic esters, but in this case you have a phosphoric ester. In really old literature, you’ll occasionally see alkyl halides referred to as halide esters (e.g., butyl iodide would be butane hydriodic ester), reflecting the idea that they're formed from the dehydration reaction of the hydrogen halide with an alcohol.

Likes pinball1970
All right, thank you for your reply TeethWhitener!
So instead of ether bond there must be an ester bond, then it's correct.
I have mixed up the two.

Likes Nickjohny
Perhaps that's nitpicking, but I don't like the idea of "being linked to the hydroxyl group". Hydroxyl group reacted and no longer exists, so nothing can be linked to it.

All right, thanks borek!

1. What are nucleotides?

Nucleotides are organic molecules that serve as the building blocks of DNA and RNA. They are made up of a sugar molecule, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base.

2. What is the function of phosphoric acid in nucleotides?

Phosphoric acid, also known as a phosphate group, is an essential component of nucleotides. It provides the necessary negative charge for the backbone of DNA and RNA, allowing for the formation of the double helix structure.

3. How many types of nucleotides are there?

There are four types of nucleotides in DNA and RNA: adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), and thymine (T) in DNA or uracil (U) in RNA. These nucleotides are differentiated by their nitrogenous bases.

4. Can nucleotides be found in other molecules aside from DNA and RNA?

Yes, nucleotides can also be found in other molecules such as ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which is the main energy source for cells, and in coenzymes like NAD+ and FAD which are involved in various metabolic reactions.

5. How do nucleotides play a role in protein synthesis?

Nucleotides are involved in protein synthesis by carrying the genetic information from DNA to RNA through a process called transcription. This information is then used by ribosomes to produce specific amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins.