1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about optics (diffraction)

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1

I was working out a practice test on optics and was a little confused about how to tackle this problem:

If you illuminate a hole and project the resulting pattern on a screen- as you decrease the hole size, the screen pattern gets smaller initially and then ultimately begins to grow larger. Why is this? Derive a formula for the screen pattern diameter as a function of the hole size, distance between screen and hole and the wavelength.

I know the effect is diffraction, but deriving the mentioned relation is giving me trouble. I was thinking of using the kirchoff integral theorem, and then perhaps carrying out an integral over a rectangular aperature; but maybe that is overkill. Is their an easier way to start thinking about this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this considered introductory physics nowadays? :eek: I must be getting old.

Maybe this will help a bit:
  4. Dec 6, 2005 #3

Lol, yeah this was probably a mispost; i got a chance to check the other posts in this section and realized it at that point. Thanks for the reference though galileo.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?