Question about orbit determination with find_orb

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the orbital elements of a moving body in the solar system using a software called "find_orb". The speaker is struggling with defining a provisional designation in the input file and is seeking help or suggestions for alternative software. They also mention a previous experience with a similar Linux-based program called "find_burst".
vacan
Hello

I'm trying to calculate the orbital elements of a moving body in the solar system with given three observations.

I'm trying to solve this with the software "find_orb" but it seems like I should define a provisional designation in the input file. the problem I just have the dates, RA & declinations for the observations

and I don't understand how to define the designation for this,
does anyone has any idea or knows any another simple software
it would be best if someone could help me :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi

I'd never heard of find_orb, but I used to use a software (Linux-based) program called find_burst that located different stars or other stellar phenomenon based on their location and light curve variations. Their "location" was merely a field of the sky that the telescope was programmed to observe, and really didn't depend on the RA or Dec.

1. What is find_orb?

Find_orb is a software tool used to determine the orbit of a celestial object, such as a planet or asteroid. It uses observations of the object's position in the sky to calculate its trajectory and predict its future path.

2. How accurate is find_orb in determining orbits?

The accuracy of find_orb depends on the quality and quantity of observations used as input. With a sufficient amount of precise observations, find_orb can determine orbits with a high degree of accuracy.

3. Can find_orb be used for all types of celestial objects?

Yes, find_orb can be used for any celestial object with a known orbit, including planets, asteroids, comets, and man-made satellites.

4. Is find_orb a free software?

Yes, find_orb is a free and open-source software, available for download on various platforms.

5. How do I use find_orb to determine an orbit?

To use find_orb, you will need to input observations of the object's position in the sky, along with information about the observing location and time. The software will then calculate the object's orbit and provide a prediction for its future path.