Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about orthogonal projections.

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    Aren't all projections orthogonal projections? What I mean is that lets say there
    is a vector in 3d space and it gets projected to 2d space. So [1 2 3]--->[1 2 0]
    Within the null space is [0 0 3], which is perpendicular to every vector in the x-y plane,
    not to mention the inner product of [0 0 3] and (column)[1 2 0] is 0, which shows
    that [0 0 3] is perpendicular to [1 2 0]. What also gets me is that I have seen
    a picture of two vectors and one vector projected (orthogonally) onto the
    other vector, but both were on the x-y plane, yet orthogonality is shown
    by taking the inner product between two vectors and getting 0. I can't see
    how 0 can be obtained when both vectors are on the same plane (note that they
    were in the positive x positive y quadrant).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3
    Let W be an underlying vector space. Suppose the subspaces U and V are the range and null space of P respectively. Then we have these basic properties:

1. P is the identity operator I on U: \forall x \in U: Px = x.
    2. We have a direct sum W = U ⊕ V. This means that every vector x may be decomposed uniquely in the manner x = u + v, where u is in U and v is in V. The decomposition is given by u = Px,\ v = x - Px.

So by 1., oblique projections map the vector back to itself Pv=v right?

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up … :zzz:)

Sorry, not following you :redface:

v is in V, and 1. only applies to U. :confused:

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5
    Forget what I said. I was mistaken. But thanks for the link, tiny-tim!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook