1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about osmosis and osmotic pressure

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    Hey

Was making up some chem notes (mid semester study break, thought id better actually do some) and came across osmosis. Now my understanding of this is that you have two solutions seperated by a membrane that lets the solvent pass but not the solute. What i dont get is why the solvent goes from high concentration (of solute i assume) to low, surely that actually increases and furthere unequalises the concentration instead of restoring it?

Cheers
    -G

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wrong assumption. Since there are only two possible assumptions --- would you like to guess again?

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    ok so youre saying in terms of the concentration of the solvent it moves from high to low and thus vice versa for solute?

5. Sep 20, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"... and thus vice versa ...." Use that on an exam, and expect to get gigged more often than not; that statement suggests that solute moves. Go ahead and write it out, "Solvent moves from the solution with lower solute concentration through the membrane to the solution with higher solute concentration."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?