Question about points on a circle ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and whether or not there are gaps in a circle with an infinite number of lines drawn from the center to the edge. The expert explains that there are no gaps and provides a proof. The conversation also touches on the idea of two lines being "right next to each other" and how this is not possible in a continuous circle. The expert also mentions a YouTube video discussing a mathematician's attempt to use infinity in arithmetic, which was ultimately rejected by the mathematical community.
cragar
Lets say i draw a circle, and then from the center i draw a line to the outer edge and let's say i do this for every point on the line. So I've gone completely around the circle. I should have an infinite amount of lines . And now let's say i draw a bigger circle around that and then extend the lines from the inner circle to the outer one. Wont those lines diverge and there will be gaps on the bigger circle. So if there is an infinite amount of lines why are there gaps. Unless I'm missing something. I remember seeing something from a you tube video that talked about it. But hey just brought it up and didn't really talk about it .

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a really good question and exposes the nature of the concept of infinity. Actually, there is no gap and here is the proof.

Suppose that there is a gap and consider a point A in the gap. That means that none of the radial lines intersects A. Draw a line from A to the common center of the two circles. It will intersect the smaller circle at a point B. Consider the line segment from the center to B and extend it to the larger circle. It will intersect A. This contradiction proves that there is no gap.

ok you i see what your saying .

can we say that the larger circle has more points on it

cragar said:
can we say that the larger circle has more points on it
No. You can label the points of the smaller and larger circles by the angle formed by the positive x-axis and the line from the center of the circle to the point on the circle. There are just enough labels to go around (ha ha) in both cases.

so you are saying that those 2 sets of points are equal.

cragar said:
so you are saying that those 2 sets of points are equal.
The number of points in both sets are equal, not the sets themselves.

Stuff like this can make your head spin (ha ha).

A question; are the radial lines assumed to have any width ? If not, how do they fill the spaces - all spaces.

If they do, what happened to that width of each of them and collectively, when they converge back to the one dimensional centre point (projecting back inwards) ?

Jimmy Snyder said:
The number of points in both sets are equal, not the sets themselves.

ok . Can we say that their are more real numbers than natural numbers .

Last edited:
alt said:
A question; are the radial lines assumed to have any width ?
No.

alt said:
If not, how do they fill the spaces - all spaces.
In the same way that points, which also have no width, fill the spaces to make a line. The way to see that the radial lines fill all spaces is to suppose there is a point A that is not 'filled'. Draw a line from A to the center and extend the line from A so it intersects the circle at point B. The line from the center to B, 'fills' A. This is related to the fact that the circle itself is 'filled' by its points.

ok I am having second thoughts about the lines diverging on the 2nd outer circle , If i take two lines let's say at 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the smaller circle and then extend them to the bigger circle their endpoints will now be farther apart . So let's say we now take 2 lines right next to each other line x1 and then next line x2 and extend those lines won't they now be farther apart and we will have a gap . I can kind of see where the flaw in my argument is that there is no next number on the continuum. but why can't there be a next line there hast to be? Or at least i think

cragar said:
ok I am having second thoughts about the lines diverging on the 2nd outer circle , If i take two lines let's say at 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the smaller circle and then extend them to the bigger circle their endpoints will now be farther apart . So let's say we now take 2 lines right next to each other line x1 and then next line x2 and extend those lines won't they now be farther apart and we will have a gap . I can kind of see where the flaw in my argument is that there is no next number on the continuum. but why can't there be a next line there hast to be? Or at least i think
The problem with this reasoning is that there is no such thing as two lines "right next to each other". Just are there are no two points right next to each other. Between any two points that are not the same, there is a third point halfway between them. This is true no matter how small the difference between the two points. I like to call this the "a miss is as good as a mile" principle. This is also true for the points on a circle. If there were two lines right next to each other, they would intersect two points on the circle right next to each other. But since there are no two points right next to each other, there are no two lines right next to each other.

ok i got it now .

Excellent! Thank you for asking.

cragar said:
I remember seeing something from a you tube video that talked about it. But hey just brought it up and didn't really talk about it .

I remember the video that you are talking about, but cannot remember the name either. This video was posted in npr/bbc/cnn/PF on a mathematician who tried to do arithmetic using infinity. All his ideas and the lifelong works were entirely rejected by the Mathematics community.

1. What is the definition of a point on a circle?

A point on a circle refers to any location on the circumference of a circle. It is denoted by a single dot and is used to describe the position of an object or point on the circle.

2. How many points can be on a circle?

A circle can have an infinite number of points on its circumference. This is because a circle is a continuous curve with no endpoints, meaning it can be divided into an infinite number of smaller arcs.

3. How do you find the coordinates of a point on a circle?

The coordinates of a point on a circle can be found using the circle's radius and the angle formed by the point, the center of the circle, and the positive x-axis. These coordinates can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

4. Can a point be inside or outside of a circle?

Yes, a point can be inside, outside, or on the circumference of a circle. If the distance between the point and the center of the circle is less than the radius, the point is inside the circle. If the distance is equal to the radius, the point is on the circumference. If the distance is greater than the radius, the point is outside the circle.

5. What is the relationship between points on a circle and angles?

Points on a circle are used to define angles. The measure of an angle formed by two points and the center of a circle is equal to half of the measure of the intercepted arc on the circle.